Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 12v regulator or straight from 3s lipo?

on a bicycle
    Quote Originally Posted by s_mack View Post
    yes, we can test each and every component. And it seems, given the crap information we're provided, that its a very good idea to do so.
    Yes!

But it should be fully unnecessary.
    Depends on how many planes you plan on losing. Even if someone were to make a database of recorded tolerances and specifications of tons of components, are you ready to assume that an identical cheap Chinese part you've bought will perform the same as the one that was tested?

Navigator
    Yes I would be ready to assume that. It doesn't matter where its made. If I'm happy with the design, then I'm happy with the tolerances between one component to the next. Its just not going to vary that much. And I'll bet the vast majority of pilots don't test their gear at all.

Whaka - you can agree with sentry if you'd like, but you're missing something with your statements regarding voltage. A 3S and a 4S are going to have the same per-cell curve so I'm not sure what you're meaning there. You get NO "extra" voltage from a 4s regulated down vs a 3s regulated down. There's no "play" room or whatever. And with a sepic type regulator, you can guaranteed 12v regardless of the input voltage, so curves don't really matter (beyond keeping your battery above safe operating levels).

Anyway, it doesn't really look like I'm going to get the answers on this forum that I was hoping. When I saw "lab" I thought perhaps there'd be a little more science vs guesswork gut feelings. Thanks anyway.

I run a regulator on my 3S system - the EZStar, with a 12v cam and have run it down to 9.1v without loss of video.

I have JUST put together a plane with another nghobbies regulator, cheap but they work - and I have flown them before but only down to 10v.

Having a regulator seems to be nice, not sure if it's required for 12v system (3S)......

Jump to 4:45 - and the color distortion is because I am below LOS - pretty good for a 12-20' drop in elevation and no los .

"Truly superior pilots are those who use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills"- Author unknown

KF7TRX

Navigator
    scott... what mah was the flight battery? Which OSD is that?

Pilot
    note that theres quit a few camera/vtx that work from 7 to 12v and those work fine without regulators (they've their own) on 3S. Obviously, you wanna check/test before you flight and lose video when the lipo drops to 10v

on a bicycle
    If a camera is sold as a 12v camera...

and it works from 7-14v...

that's bonus capability, not given capability

scott... what mah was the flight battery? Which OSD is that?

3.7mm Security Camera2000 600 Super HAD - That particular flight battery was a Turnigy Nano 4000mah - but I had flown 1300mah off of it the day before and forgot to recharge it...see my Band On The Run vid

Plus it's used on my tricopter and gets drained extensively so now the EZ has two brand spanking new 25C 4000mah batteries, which have yet to fly due to monsoon season here in the PNW.

Now, had the ESC not cut out I would have flown it until the camera went out and just used the OSD but it's good to know the ESC will cut out first so I can at least fly it and g et it into an area where I'll know to go look.
    This particular recovery took all of about 7 minutes to drive down, get out, walk, retrieve, and drive back.
    "Truly superior pilots are those who use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills"- Author unknown

KF7TRX

Navigator
    Thanks Scott. I live just a bit North of you

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by bicycle View Post
    If a camera is sold as a 12v camera...

and it works from 7-14v...

that's bonus capability, not given capability
    Huh? What something is "sold" at doesn't matter at all. Its the design that matters, not the marketing. If it works from 7-14 then that's its capability. That particular scenario would strongly suggest a 5v regulator is onboard that has a 2v drop out and a max handling of 14v. So its not "sold as a 12v camera"... its a 5v camera that can accept anywhere from 7 to 14. I'm rather aghast at the level of misunderstanding surrounding voltage regulators. When I posted the question, I simply was asking if a VR was necessary in most cases since the manufacturers don't seem to want to tell us anything because there is an obvious downside to using a VR. If its linear, its waste/heat. If its switching.. its the potential for crash causing "noise". So if one can do without... its possible they're ahead of the game on more than just saved weight (which is also important)

Thanks Scott. I live just a bit North of you
    Yep, I raced my bathtub twice up there at the Westbank Grand Prix, Had some good times!
    Enjoyed the drive up there as much as the racing and comradrie. On Canada Day no less!

Hope you can catch some vid of Ogie Pogie!

On the 5v/12v - best you can do is plug 5v into the cam and test it. If it says 12v and works down to 9v you're doing good but beyond 9v you'd be really pushing your luck unless it is a 5v actual voltage cam, in which case you should be OK since the ESC will have cut out at least you can see where you are going to crash land/controlled land.
    I actually like the 5v cams, and maybe one day I'll test my last in-the-box cam on 5v just to answer this question even though ti's a 12v cam.

Last edited by Scotttu; 19th November 2012 at 12:37 AM.

KF7TRX

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast