www.immersionrc.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First flight with EzUHF didn't end well...

First flight with EzUHF didn't end well...

Another rough day in my nascent FPV career.

First flight with EzUHF. Range tested on ground and all seemed to work well.

Setup:
    Radian w/stock ESC and motor, 1300 mAh 3S Lipo
    EzOSD
    ImmersionRC 600mW 5G8 w/IBCrazy cloverleaf, mounted on right wing
    EzUHF 4-channel w/Sander-style antenna, mounted upright on left wing
    EzUHF using Diamond SHR771 hooked up to DX8.

Result: At about 1:20 in the video, I lost all control of the plane. No throttle, rudder, or elevator control input at all. It quickly pitched down, inverted, and plowed into the ground at approx. 50% throttle. The plane didn't take the crash well, but it appears that all electronics are still working.

Autopsy: All servos work properly. All servo linkages intact and functional. Wings perfectly in place. ESC still works. Motor casing deformed by crash, which caused a short and minor flames, melting front 2 inches of plane. Battery appears OK, but due to motor short/fire, not sure I can trust it again.

What happened here? You can see the crash occurred less than 100m from where I was standing. Is this EzUHF failure? Why would I suddenly lose link like that? If I lost link, wouldn't failsafe cut throttle? Lose link at 90m? I can't figure this out!

All help/advice appreciated.

No Artificial Sweeteners. kev.au's Avatar
    Did you have failsafe set?, how did you test range on the ground?. Maybe your ESC went into thermal shut-down?, are you powering Ezuhf rx via the stock ESC?.

Hope you find the problem.
    Håvard Støre : Sir I humbly bow down to your balsa bashing abilities!!.
    chicken sashimi : my T-Shirts are all 100% guaranteed to get you laid.
    Roberto : you're a legend Kev.
    ssassen : I bow humbly before kev.au's greatness.
    Danub : Sir I humbly bow down to your tree bashing abilities!!.
    MonZon : Damn, Kev you are gooooood!.
    R. Montiel : For sure the limiting factor is the earth curvature

I did first step of setting failsafe on ground, but second step is set up in flight. I didnt get that far...

I don't think it was ESC. As you can see, the motor had current until impact. ESC works after the crash. EzOSD shows amp draw at approx half of ESC rating. No, I don't have separate BEC; I will do that on the Penguin or Skywalker that will replace this setup.
    KG7BFT
    "Alea iacta est"

ImmersionRC Support Guru swillhide's Avatar
    I would start with doing away with the DX8 and ezuhf. Many many sadly too many problems with the stereo connector that Spektrum uses. That sucks, I love my DX8 and sadly there is no way around the problem yet. Sorry for your plane loss man.

Navigator
    I really don't get much range out of my EzUHF... Trying to figure out what's going on with my system also.

ditto to you guys...still trying to figure out why I have bugger all range with EZUHF let me know if u figure out whats causing issues.

If you are u sing a DX anything radio get off of it.

I did not see any RSSI - that concerns me.

There are a lot of reports of DX radios just glitching out.

Locally there are reports of Garage doors freaking out when 433mhz is applied in full force by aircraft carriers.
    Meaning a garage door opener, POSSIBLY but probably not likely.

Still thinking get to a 72mhz radio first (To piggyback the EZUhf).
    "Truly superior pilots are those who use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills"- Author unknown

KF7TRX

Probably pulled the 3.5mm stereo connector out of the radio slightly, or the DX8 just crapped out. Spektrum radios are no recommended to be used for FPV and most certainly not with UHF control systems.
    Purveyor of the FPV secret sauce at ImmersionRC

Alarm comes up breifly in the video before the crash do you know what caused that alarm?

Thanks all. I just bought a factory refurbished Futaba 9C off eBay for $190, hope that wasn't a bad price.

I was using 4 channel receiver, so no RSSI. I have a diversity receiver for new build.

The alarm is battery voltage. The current sensor wasn't calibrated correctly - the battery was fully charged right before flight.
    KG7BFT
    "Alea iacta est"