FPVLAB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Awesome forum!

Awesome forum!

Friends,

Came over by invite from Sentry from RCG. Nice place ya got here!

I've been flying Heli & planks for about 4 years now. I have always had a deep love for photography. When I saw that folks were placing full sized SLR's on the helis and MAKING MONEY, I sadi to myself.."I can do that too!"

The business is s-l-o-w-l-y gaining momentum, but I have to place most of my efforts to my full-time job of building cell phone tower sites. Meh... someone's gotta do it, right?

Lately I have been trying to get all the stuff I need for a good FPV setup. Almost there!

Well I've seen your work --- so you definitely got the stuff for it. We've been missing each other lately but we'll finally get a chance to fly together this spring / summer I'm sure. Welcome aboard!!!

Sentry
    "I Like Waffles" : FPVLab on Facebook and FPVLab on Twitter

Wanted to share some other stuf with the group. My website is here:

www.kennecoaerialphotos.com

I have several aerial videos here.

http://www.vimeo.com/user1307099/vid.../format:detail

Mostly just stuff I have thrown together over the past few years. I just built a much better home PC that has the horsepower to do some better video editing. Sooo.......better vids will be coming out later this spring.

Njoy! Feed back is welcome

Hey Avenger, interested?

Avenger. Cool FPV work man. But seriously, watching your Skywalker fly into the bed of your truck with a GoPro on it was """OUCH""". Cringe stuff there, serious puckering I bet going on in your shorts. :O

Glad the camera survived! Did you have the protective case on the camera at the time?

Yes thankfully I did have it in the case. No damage to the camera whatsoever. A minor scratch to the outer lens of the lean case.

Whew! That's good. You can get replacement lenses for the outer case and put them on yourself.

Correct and that's just what I did. These are quite remarkable little cameras. My next step is to replace the lens from a wide-angle/rush-eye to a 16:9 aspect ratio. This will allow me to have a better grasp of spatial awareness for doing full FPV.

I've been thinking about that myself, getting something that's not quite so wide-angle. My reason for it though has more to do with making smooth videos. When you're skimming mountain tops and cliff edges, there's a lot of bounce from turbulent winds and thermals, and an otherwise amazing video can be so bouncy that it's hard to watch. I want stuff that's less "hobbyist" and more professional looking. I don't know if I'll really achieve it with this inexpensive FPV equipment, but I plan on doing some image stabilization in post during the editing process, and you can't do that properly with wide-angle video - it can seriously amplify the fish-eye distortion at the edge of the screen.

If you don't mind, would you let me know what lens you end up going with? If your solution works well, perhaps I can save some time and follow your lead.

Cheers!

Rush,

(EDIT)

Here is the link for the replacement lens:

http://www.optics-online.com/OOL/DSL/DSL355.PDF

Here is a link for the directions for modding the camera:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1366306&page=6

Be sure to read the whole thread. Check out post # 78 for real-world comparison.

Curious, what do you use for post stabilization? I have tried Sony Vegas 10 with good results, but I am always looking for other ideas also.
    Last edited by Airbender; 20th March 2011 at 07:27 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast