Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 750kv or 900kv

Instagator
    It may well produce rated power in manual. If it won't do it in ATTI, then the additional power is of no value to me as It can't be accessed the way I like to fly and I should have stayed with what I had. Since I'm not accustomed to flying in Manual, I don't want to do a full power climb and get the machine in a position from which I can't recover. I'm sure others here that fly regularly in Manual will soon answer our question.

It is what it is, Atti mode and GPS tame your craft down so to me it sounds the expectations were based on a different understanding of the mode use.

When I go to manual it's crazy power, I expect smooth and efficient flight in Atti, nothing more as that's the design

Attitude mode is power-limited. If you want performance there is absolutely no point in flying attitude-mode, since it's all about keeping your craft calm. If you'd like to put the motors to the test in atti fly full fast forward for a minute or so. The Naza will then start to reach its limit, the quad will fly a lot faster and smoother as with the other motors.

The Naza is not a flight controller for flight performance. If you really want to reach the limit of these motors, try a CC3D board. Wear some diapers just in case, though

Instagator
    Trappy & DesJardines:
    Thanks for your help. I've flown in Manual a bit, LOS, but not to the point of developing a comfort level for FPV. Guess I'll be getting some practice using it soon. I understand that I've reached the limit of power the Naza will allow in ATTI with the 900Kv motors. In my opinion, I'm getting a bit more power, but the smoothness and increase in endurance is a real plus with these motors with the added benefit of greatly increased power for those who are comfortable in Manual. Today I flew in quite a bit of wind and just now got to look at the video. The difference in smoothness in the video with the 900Kv's as compared with the video taken using DJI motors is remarkable. I'll just keep things the way they are and won't worry about calibrating ESC's. BTW - I have no lazy start syndrome. Everything worked perfectly out of the box.

Anytime, I love my 900Kv T-motors and Naza because I can use all the modes.

I'm not at the full manual mode flying yet so I do a little at a time.
    Last edited by DesJardins; 22nd November 2012 at 07:44 PM.

Navigator
    Keith, If you increase your attitude gains it allows the Quad to tilt more with Elev/Ail TX control inputs... That way you can get decent fast forward flight speeds since the quad is tipped forward more aggressively meaning the Naza sends more power to maintain the forward tilt which translates into to forward speed. ATTI "vertical" is exactly that..up/down with hover at mid stick.

Basically you want to hold forward elev command in continually without adding throttle.

Ice

On top of what everyone else said, bigger props will also help. You're swinging more weight and moving more air which draws higher current and gives more thrust. In manual mode on 4S batteries I can hit 52A in a climb with 10" Gemfan props and the 750kv motors (which is way past what they're rated for). The sacrifice with those props is they just aren't as smooth as the smaller Graupners.

Instagator
    Ice:
    Know exactly what you mean. Once the lift vector supports the weight of the craft, the thrust vector must be increased for more speed. This is done by tilting the deck angle forward. I've been experimenting with this a bit. Since I film a lot in 720, too much deck angle can easily cut off the horizon from the view. The solution would be to shim the camera to point the lens up a bit. This has a downside in that at lower speeds, mostly sky would be visible. One solution would be to shoot in 960, but the results at the higher rez don't seem as good. Maybe the new motors will fix that.

after_two:
    Do you not get the prop tips in the video using 10" props? I was under the impression that the larger props should not be used with the 900Kv on 4S.

The 900Kv motors come with a threaded spinner and a hex nut. Are we to use both (like a belt and suspenders) or is it an either / or choice?

you can use both for added security. I've seen props come off if you just use one.

No props in my video, it may depend on your FOV and resolution settings but I'm using 720 wide and it's fine for me. Have seen plenty of other videos on Youtube with 10" props and clean video...
    As for the 10" on 900kv with 4S you might be right there but aside from maybe not being quite as smooth the only bad that will come of it as far as I know is pulling too many Amps in very high throttle. That's exactly the situation I'm in and I just take it a bit easy, sounds like if you're flying in ATTI mode though it wouldn't even be an issue for you as you can't access the full output of the motors anyway. Another option is to move the endpoint on your radio, that way you still have the punch and acceleration when you need it but take a bit off the top end so you're not asking too much from the motors.