Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: TBS Discovery Personal Review

Navigator

TBS Discovery Personal Review

Well it took about a good month to get it, but its worth it.
    Its my first quad and perhaps will be the only.
    All up weight:1.85Kg
    here is the build:
    And here is the first video:
    http://youtu.be/N0SShU0d_X4

And here is my feedback about the design:
    its a great design and and a well thought out layout. It flies very well...

What would i have done differently?
    I would have moved the 2 back arms further back and perhaps used the same angle that is used up front. This would have had two major positive impacts.
    1- it would enable the possibility to use 11inch props further increasing efficiency and max output power.
    2- it would have shifted the center of gravity to the center of the front and back props, because at the moment it is shifted towards the back, loading the back motors more, and causing when falling some oscillations, and when rising lower than maximum output power.

Besides that I really like the overall concept.

Now what I have done in my quad. First of all I used 5.8GHz video transmitter, to avoid all interferences of neighbors WLANs and other 2.4GHz radio systems if flying with others... True range is better with 2.4GHz, but with tracking 5.8GHz is well within the operating range of the quad.
    However I shifted the antenna rather high for 2 reasons:
    1- 5.8GHz @ 600mW can cause a lot of interference on the long wires going around.
    2- to avoid reflections and reduce the impact of the Quad on signal quality.
    You loose in transportability, but gain a lot in video performance. I also use an antenna tracker for longer range missions, but with just goggles I reach about 300-500m flying very low. With a 13dB flat panel RHCP I still have reached the limits... I expect some 3-5km.

Lense: I changed to a 2.8mm lense to have a little more FOV than a 3.6mm. It is possible to use go pro as well, but it doesnt work as good in low light nor when the sun is in pic. But it would save the weight of the additional camera.

Battery: turnigy 5000mAh 15C, it fits like a glove and give 4000mAh effective capacity and weighs only 475g.

Motors: I used NTM turingy 750 2836 motors since at the time i ordered TBS didnt have motors on stock. But after one crash, the motor is bend and causes vibs...
    going to change to AX-2810Q-750KV. Which will reduce weight and increase efficiency even further.

Top speed: 70km/h

I used ET as OSD... yeah yeah I know what you all think, but I find it works reliably and have good support. It was a little tricky to get is working on this board, but not too complicated.

Total Battery time: I achieved 13-14min in this configuration.

Props: 10x4.5 PRODUCT ID: 017000064 @ HK which I found to be efficient and robust and light.

All in all im very happy with it and the naza controller which works very well in combination. I especially like the GPS mode if you are a beginner and for certain video captures.
    I would highly recommend it to anyone who wants to make nice vids without props in view. it could have been a little bit more external OSD friendly, and center of gravity shifted more to center. I'm still working on the vibs, but once they are under control then the video can be captured at 1080p. However when at high speed, then you need to reduce the gain to reduce oscillations and get rid of jello effect.
    But its compact and versatile, with great potential for making awesome vids.

Best Regards
    Sp1k3

How did you end up making it this heavy ? Mine has got 2x 4s 3300mah batteries and weighs 1600 grams

Need more Cat Stevens backing FPV videos, like it!

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by ulkar View Post
    How did you end up making it this heavy ? Mine has got 2x 4s 3300mah batteries and weighs 1600 grams
    How do you fit 2x 3300 4S on yours?! Because it was the first thing I wanted to do, but ccouldnt manage to fit it...
    I'm not exactly sure how I got this heavy...
    The motors are extra heavy, 95gm each, but changing them now to much lighter ones ~70gramm/each
    That should save me 100gramm...
    I have about 150-200gramm of ET gear on it... which I need for antenna tracking and a proper OSD. I didnt look for lighter options as I had this gear already available at home.

Actually I came up to doing this after being unable to make it fly with my multiwii, as it's not as well designed as a naza, it doesn't handle uncentered cg well at all. With only one battery on the back I was having very heavy oscillations and sometimes loss of control when cutting throttle. So I decided to put another battery on the front, arround where your tx is (I'll try to put a pic tonight), to counter balance the other battery. I'm running them in parallel and I'm getting arround 17-18 minutes of flight time this way for 1600 grams (no gopro yet).

I have ntm 2830 motors (750kv) and turnigy plush 30A.

Here's the maiden video of it flying with the multiwii and the two batteries, it was the first time I was flying it so pids weren't tuned. Second flight after that I had a wire loose on the cam and lost video so I crashed :/. Now it's rebuilt (didn't break anything except for 2 props) but I decided to redo the wiring better with connectors etc...

Navigator
    yeah you can see the oscillations due to instable PID coeffs...
    but yeah definitely wanna see the pics... pls upload... really curios. 16-17 min flight time is awesome! Im getting about 15...
    I solder each and every connection.
    I had too many accidents in the past due to bad conenctions. Now on each and every platform I have soldered all wires, and hot glued all connectors. Since then I never had a problem. Yes its a pain and lots of work, but the reliability pays off ;-)

I will take pictures tonight, for now I can't really fly cause I get off work at 6pm and it's night time already, so I have to wait for weekends

Navigator
    btw gopro is really heavy... you will feel the difference...
    i considering putting the replay instead...

yep, but for now as you can see in the video it goes a bit on the back when I throttle down so cg is not perfect yet, gopro should balance it, else I can just move the battery that's on top to perfectly center it