Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Eagletree GPS is confused, or I am. Can someone help me?

Question My Eagletree GPS is confused, or I am. Can someone help me?

I just installed an Eagletree eLogger V3, OSD Pro, and GPS V4 system on my hexcopter. I did this for two main reasons, to monitor battery voltage/current usage, and the most important to me, to have GPS info like altitude, distance from home, etc...

Well the voltage/current parts works fine, but the GPS is completely wacked. After the system is powered on and initialized the GPS altitude and distance slowly drift off and provide meaningless data. When the hexcopter is still sitting in the location where power was applied, the distance reading wil start to increase, 2,3 7, 14, 19 feet, and the altitude will do the same strange stuff, but it might go negative with it's readings. Then if I do take off and hover about 10 feet high, the altitude might read -2, +3, 0 feet. It constanly changes.

This is very disapointing. I hope someone can tell me how to fix this, or tell me I did something wrong, because if this is all the better the GPS system works, it is not even close to what I expected to have.

Thanks for any help.

Steve

Fwiw, GPS is only accurate to about 1.5 meters or 5 feet, especially vertically.

Did you let the GPS sit and sync up for a few minutes before you flew? It generally takes :30s to 2 mins for a good lock.

Also, GPS distance, speed, etc., are most effective when you are moving as it works on differential positioning; hovering or going straight up are going to be the most inaccurate.
    Last edited by sl4ppy; 29th October 2012 at 01:30 AM.

Yeah agreeing with sl4ppy once a GPS is giving values +-100 feet then you should be a little worried. -+10-20 feet is average.

Cheers,
    Ugrd
    Volto: "Asking about range around here is kind of like asking someone how hot their grandma is."

Me: "WATCH THIS" Famous last words

if you get the altimiter v.4 is straightens up and provides exact altitiude, heres mine going at it

Member of MPAA, Local 600 DP - N522QZ & N147BW, Founding Partner of Aerial MOB
    Aerial MOB is proud to use products from:KlonerBuilt, Red Digital Cinema, Panasonic Lumix, Aeronavics, Hexacrafter, Team Blacksheep, Ritewing, Photohigher, Freefly....instagram, facebook.... #klonersfpv #klonerbuilt #aerialmob --- Support your Local 600 ---

Well I guess I am a little bummed out then. I thought the GPS would be much more accurate then +/- 10 to 20. My NAZA hexcopter will hover in a 20mph wind in GPS mode in a 5 foot circle, maybe smaller. That's why I picked GPS for my OSD setup. I assumed they must all be that good now. Teach me for assuming.

sl4ppy, Yes I did let it sit for at least a minute, probably 3 by the time I took off. I know the hdp was around 0.7 to 0.8, and I think it had 10 sats. This setup is still very new to me so I figured I did something wrong. I am not sure it had a good 3D fix, but with 10 sats I would have thought so. At the time I did not have the option set for it to wait until a 3D fix was obtained before recording the home position. Maybe that had something to do with it being off so far?

I also did not know about the GPS working better if moving. I guess I have a lot to learn.

kloner, so do you only use the altimeter V4 for your altitude indication? No GPS at all?

Thanks guys.

i have the gps, that's what is showing my speed, distance, all the gps stuff. the barometer is a $40 add on so your altitude is dead solid..... it's a modular board so you can have that stuff..... you just have to buy it
    Member of MPAA, Local 600 DP - N522QZ & N147BW, Founding Partner of Aerial MOB
    Aerial MOB is proud to use products from:KlonerBuilt, Red Digital Cinema, Panasonic Lumix, Aeronavics, Hexacrafter, Team Blacksheep, Ritewing, Photohigher, Freefly....instagram, facebook.... #klonersfpv #klonerbuilt #aerialmob --- Support your Local 600 ---

I think once you start buzzing around, you'll find the GPS plenty accurate. Is it accurate to the inch? Heck no, but do you really need that? You just want a rough estimation of how far, fast, and high you are, and the EagleTree GPS is plenty accurate for that. Like I said, don't use a simple bench test or hovering a bit to set your expectations. EagleTree makes good stuff, and at minimum it's certainly accurate enough to point a tracking antenna at it.

The Naza and the EagleTree have the same accuracy (the GPS accuracy is actually limited by the Federal Government for national security reasons. you CANNOT buy a GPS more precise than about 3m, iirc.). Naza holds so solidly by using a combination of GPS and inertial movement sensors; it's not locking that position 100% from GPS alone.
    Last edited by sl4ppy; 29th October 2012 at 04:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sl4ppy View Post
    I think once you start buzzing around, you'll find the GPS plenty accurate. Is it accurate to the inch? Heck no, but do you really need that? You just want a rough estimation of how far, fast, and high you are, and the EagleTree GPS is plenty accurate for that. Like I said, don't use a simple bench test or hovering a bit to set your expectations. EagleTree makes good stuff, and at minimum it's certainly accurate enough to point a tracking antenna at it.

The Naza and the EagleTree have the same accuracy (the GPS accuracy is actually limited by the Federal Government for national security reasons. you CANNOT buy a GPS more precise than about 3m, iirc.). Naza holds so solidly by using a combination of GPS and inertial movement sensors; it's not locking that position 100% from GPS alone.
    Good info sl4ppy. I will be heading up north with it this weekend to a wide open 160 acre farm, which is next to about 10 more just like it. There I will be able to buzz it around more and see how well it works. I know the Fed Gov has limits on how accurate our civilian stuff can be. The one thing I was hoping is that the altitude reading would be very accurate because I have a hell of a time judging how high I am when flying and getting ready to land. My fear is that I will slame it into the ground because the FOV is so much different when looking through the camera. Maybe it just takes lots of practice which right now is coming to an end as winter is right on my doorstep.

And the postman just brought my new DVR so I can record my flights this weekend if all goes well.

Steve

Landing FPV is also dicey at first. If you aren't realy comfortable with it, I recommend that you come to a hover and remove your goggles and then land. I know I started that way.

GPS Accuracy is not very good, especially for altitude! If you want accurate altitude you need a proper altimeter. GPS Accuracy in the air should settle in to less then 10 feet for coordinates, speed will be accurate to a decimal point, however GPS altitude can be off by 50 feet easily.