Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Think about selling Cree XML leds w/heatsink on your site?

Pilot

Think about selling Cree XML leds w/heatsink on your site?

Hi Hugo. I believe there is a market for those awesome Cree XM-L Leds if you sold them on your site, with heatsink and maybe with a reflector, with an easy to solder to option. Just a suggestion, maybe its not worth the hassle, but I think there are hobbyists who would add those kind of LEDs to their planes if there was a "packaged kit" kind of option available.

Thoughts?
    Regarding "some" peoples thoughts about Trappy and the FAA and "the sky is falling":

"Perspective. Time to recognize the root cause and not focus exclusively on a single case."

Shedding light over FPV HugeOne's Avatar
    I been asked this a few times. Readymade FPV "headlight" would be an interesting market.
    Let me shakes some ideas... I'll be back

Hugo

It certainly wouldn't be difficult to do I can't wait for mine to get in, I am going to use 3 3 watt WHITE for LED, 2 for flood / landing light, and 2 1 watt for red / green nav lights, my plane is going to be VISIBLE rofl.

Hugo, how HOT in temperature do you think the 3w white LED's will get at all power (700ma according to the spec sheets)?

Pilot
    I love electronics, and work in the electronics industry. And I'm still bewildered by the array of options and reflector angles and LED output angles and on and on...I really think a FPV LED solution could be very very popular.
    Regarding "some" peoples thoughts about Trappy and the FAA and "the sky is falling":

"Perspective. Time to recognize the root cause and not focus exclusively on a single case."

LED's are a lot like antennas but for light An LED with an angle of 25 is going to put out light like a yagi does for antennas, and a 180 degree LED would be more like a rubber duck, putting out light all around it but not as concentrated . Same thing goes for reflectors, like how a reflector works on a patch or crosshair .

Quote Originally Posted by MatCat View Post
    Hugo, how HOT in temperature do you think the 3w white LED's will get at all power (700ma according to the spec sheets)?
    You will have to deal with 2W of waste heat which is not too bad when mounted on a descent size MCPCB (25mm or so) and subject to airflow.

I think 25-30deg lens will make an enjoyable flight experience without needed too much lumens.

Hugo

Pilot
    Yeah I understand alot of the terms and how they affect its characteristics...but I don't know what works for our application. It seems like it could require quite a bit of expermintation to get it right, or working well anyway. But if Hugo knows this, seems he could capitalize on his knowledge and offer a solution for FPV aircraft and ground vehicles.

Yes, as many of you know, I experimentes a lot with LED as headlight on a FPV plane.
    The main problems encountered are:

-glares. When your light source is too close to your camera or any part of your plane is exposed to the beam of light and seen by your camera, even at an angle greater than your field of view, glares will show. Forget about painting those parts black it don't work.

-Camera sensibility. If your cam is less sensitive to light than the human eye, your LEDs, even if as mighty as my TSII's headlight are not going to help much. Forget about lighting the landscape for your gopro. For a ground vehicle this not a concern as everything is very close.

-Camera dynamic range. Some area seen by your cam will be very bright and other much less. You need a cam that can handle extreme difference in lighting condition. The WDR600 is one that I found excellent. Pixim are good at this, but they are not light sensitive.

-Heat. These LED heat up, even if very efficient 70-80% of power is still in form of heat so don't spare the heatsink or they will unsolder themselves.

-Driver, you cannot just connect resistor is serie with the LED and press ON. At low power it will work, but as soon as the as the LED heat up its forward voltage drop inviting more current, giving more heat and boom. You need circuit to regulate the current.

-Hugo

What do you think of this sink for the 3 3W headlights (In series): http://www.ebay.com/itm/wdm-10x-3w-5...item2a15e61abe

Do you believe they would be 'foam safe' for mounting to the foam itself?