Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Custom Diopter Inserts How-To

Explorer
    Google: fresnel stick on ...... and I found one side for $19 and another one for $29 that you could buy directly
    1) http://www.myipatches.com/home.php?cat=29
    Last edited by OwlPic; 19th December 2014 at 03:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OwlPic View Post
    Google: fresnel stick on ...... and I found one side for $19 and another one for $29 that you could buy directly
    Well i did previously, but the "diopters" are in the positive ie; +1 +2 and the Fatshark diopters are in the negative -2 -4 -6 so I believe positive is for reading distances.
    Unless you found a site with negative diopters.
    Again, I don't really understand the measurement system, but they seem to be incompatible.

Navigator
    I'm near sited. My correction is -1.75. I purchased the Fatshark Diopter lens and tried the -2.0 and it make it worse. This does not make sence to me. I know I have then inserted correctly. If I take off my glasses and hold the Diopler lens up to my eye my vision becomes corrected. But if I put them in the goggles it gets worse. When I use the goggles without any correction It's not too bad but still a little blury. What am I doing wrong here?

Not sure, it may be the distance from your eye that is doing this.

So when holding the lens you state you can see through it OK, but after inserting it it's no good.

Sounds like distance while holding is different than distance while inserted, just make sure you have checked the obvious, like you were looking through the same lens you inserted (don't laugh I actually used the wrong lens on a pair and thought my eyes had gotten worse, well OK laugh but still....)

Also look for smudges on the lens.
    Additionally, it may just be off center, can you adjust the IPD on your goggles?

Which goggles are they?
    Last edited by 33db; 26th December 2014 at 11:02 PM. Reason: Spelling

Explorer
    Quote Originally Posted by Hookedonhelli's View Post
    ... if I put them in the goggles it gets worse. ... What am I doing wrong here?

The instructions say the diopter value stamped in the plastic should be wrong reading when you look at the screen.

If they the lens look ok off the goggles, there are two things that matter: 1) How square your eyes are to the lens. Try tilting by first putting some foam on your forehead and then try it below your eyes, to tilt the lens.
    2) How close are your eyes are from the lens.

Navigator
    I tried moving the goggles (Dominator V2) in several different orientations but it's still no good. There's only 1 way those lens can go in as far as I can tell. they insert into a groove right in front of the screen right? Could it be the camera? I'm using a GoPro-3.

I tried moving the goggles (Dominator V2) in several different orientations but it's still no good. There's only 1 way those lens can go in as far as I can tell. they insert into a groove right in front of the screen right? Could it be the camera? I'm using a GoPro-3.
    Did you try adjusting the IPD? Your goggles have that function.
    Additionally to answer the question of whether or not it's the GoPro go to a local hobby store (call first) and use one of their FPV cameras, I would think if the GoPro records in focus it should let you view in focus.

The manual for the lens consist of this:
    Diopter lens insert sets are available that include -2, -4 and -6 dpt. See below insert instructions:
    Lens orientation is not critical.
    Of course that little tab would be towards the center of the goggles or you couldn't get it in all the way.
    Finally have someone that doesn't need glasses at all look through it, if it's blurry for them there may be a technical problem with the goggles.

Navigator
    Yes, assuming the IPD's are the slidders on the bottom of the goggles that move the LCD's in and out, adjusted all the way in works best for me.

Yes, assuming the IPD's are the slidders on the bottom of the goggles that move the LCD's in and out, adjusted all the way in works best for me.
    Yeah have someone that doesn't need vision correction look through them, if blurry get them repaired.
    Or go to a hobby store try another camera. (always call make sure they can help you)

Navigator
    Wow .. great feedback on the topic. Love the idea of buying cheap glasses from Zennioptical. Since I have a dremel tool, I'll order up a pair with
    my particular prescription and see how it goes. Since my glasses are "progressive", I'm wondering if I should put in some of the 2.50 "add" ? Oh well,
    the glasses are so cheap, I may order 2 pair, one with the base prescription, and one with an add of 1.00 to see which works out better. Thanks for
    all the great info!