Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Custom Diopter Inserts How-To

Wireless video evangelist FatShark's Avatar

Custom Diopter Inserts How-To

I get numerous inquiries for alternative diopter values other than the standard -2, -4 and -6 that are sold as sets but they are not available.
    Many people have reported that it is very easy to make your own custom inserts and Gary Morris has kindly given me permission to post a link to his modifications: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...368222&page=12
    I've attached datasheets of the diopter inserts so you can read the actual dimensions for creating a form that will fit the headset slots.
    Please feel free to post photos and instructions of your own modifications for the benefit of others. Thanks.

Note: never use CA anywhere near the lens optics
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by FatShark; 24th October 2012 at 04:52 AM.
    FatShark - RC vision systems - www.fatshark.com

Dear Fatshark,

Here's my contribution.
    http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1888757

A more accurate way of customizing the lens according to your prescription.

Wireless video evangelist FatShark's Avatar
    Wow, lovely job! You might be getting some orders!
    FatShark - RC vision systems - www.fatshark.com

Hahaha! Okayyy.

Cheers

I appreciate the diopter spec PDF, very helpful. My contribution is this captioned picture walkthough of how I made my own diopters using my personal optical prescription for my new Fatshark Attitude goggles. Perhaps this will help somebody else make their own as well.

Here is my mod for fatshark prescriptions lenses.

Got to Zennioptical and took the cheapest frames i could get, http://www.zennioptical.com/413412-f...h-spring-hinge

6.95 + lenses, i got them to my door for 21$....

use some painters tape to protect, then trace and dremel away

Result :

1st time i can read my OSD numbers
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20131118_204008.jpg 
Views:	4405 
Size:	538.5 KB 
ID:	35565Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20131118_203949.jpg 
Views:	2754 
Size:	558.7 KB 
ID:	35566Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20131118_203919.jpg 
Views:	2965 
Size:	565.2 KB 
ID:	35567
    ZebroWings .com
    2Vision-Air .com

Navigator
    Good find with Zennioptical!

Seems like we should try to specify our interpupilary distance as being right directly in the middle of the frames ... and not what the optometrist actually measured. Otherwise we might end up running out of room when cutting the needed shape for the goggles.

tn

I did specify an intentionally wide IPD on an order so I would have more clearance for cutting, and one pair with my actual IPD as a backup. I got an email within hours asking to confirm my order due to having two pairs with the same prescription but different PD and I had to email back to verify and explain that it was on purpose, that the lenses would be used in a science experiment and not actually worn as glasses and to please ship them as ordered. They responded quickly and I had them in my hands in a few days.

I've used Zenni in the past for glasses that I wear, and my wife has several pairs as well, so they were the first place I thought of when I needed to make diopters. It's best to choose some bid frames and a large IPD to get as much lens as possible. Also, selecting one of the more expensive plastics with a higher refractive index may be best if you have a strong prescription so the lenses are thinner. I went cheap and didn't upgrade to thinner lenses and it worked out fine for me.

Navigator
    All great feedback on this topic, thanks!

It's too bad we can't order the blank lenses before they cut them to the shape of the frames. Would save some money I suspect, and would give the maximum room to maneuver with the dremel.

No kidding! I also wish it was simple to skip having glasses made, it seems like it should be much cheaper/faster than having them bother to cut them down and mount in frames. Unfortunately all the sales processes are geared to produce a wearable final product, not sell any bare lenses. My brief poking around convinced me that buying uncut lenses was drastically more expensive than finished glasses, so if anybody finds a source that sells single lenses at this cost I'll be as interested as anybody!

These $7 glasses cost less than the shipping, I figure the lenses must be no more than a couple bucks. I decided to not bother trying to bang my head on that particular wall of nonsense and just did the easy thing by ordering glasses. :/

I wouldn't mind making myself another set, after doing it once I know I can do a cleaner job of it again. But these are working just great as-is for me.