FPVLAB

Page 1 of 134 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: The 3D printing repository

Instructor Pilot

The 3D printing repository

Well, c5galaxy had what I think was a great suggestion.. a thread dedicated to all our 3D models for printing.

There are some really talented and clever guys on here and this thread I hope will encourage them to share things they have come up with or will come up with in the future. 3D printing I feel has a lot of potential for our hobby but not everyone has the time, resources or desire to model what they need.

So, the idea of this thread is to show what you guys have come up with for solving certain needs in this hobby using 3D printed parts. Please post pictures of the model and, where possible, real world pictures of the outcome... Ideally you will also share a link to a service (eg shapeways) where others can buy your design, or share the .STL if you want. Whether you put a small markup on it through these services or offer it without additional cost is completely up to you.

Perhaps those who have great ideas but lack the software or time can even request items to be designed by guys on here.

So I'll kick things off with this simple creation... once I've ordered it and tested the fit and function I will make it available on the shapeways site and post pictures of the actual item.

ImmersionRC 5.8Ghz vTX mount and active cooler (20mm fan):

http://www.shapeways.com/model/74561...fe56b9b7e258fb

EDIT - real pics added

and secondly, my scale pan/tilt module... Real pictures/video are of the v1, 3d renders are of v2 which is the model available on Shapeways with some design improvements. Designed to fit the PQ0199 from SC2000.... requires a 10mm main shaft, 3mm axle and 2 x 3x6x2.5 flange bearings (not fitted in the pictures/video).

http://www.shapeways.com/model/74156...15a853c0f03d6d

Last edited by Zeeflyboy; 18th November 2012 at 06:04 PM.

Instructor Pilot
    And thirdly, my EzUHF cradle(s)...

This is designed to better angle the EzUHF and was designed for my Futaba 10C.... this will only fit the EzUHF Tx that has the flush endplates, I see there is a new version with large red bands.. while the design could be modified to work with this new style I would need someone to give me some measurements first. Again I will make this available after I have tested the fit and function.

Type 1 - Designed to attach to a spare module/module case... this should be able to be made to work for any radio with detachable modules, or even those that just have a flat back in the right spot. You may have to flip or remove the grab handle of your radio to make it fit. This will orient the antenna to vertical when the radio is held in a typical seated position with a slightly upward angle.

http://www.shapeways.com/model/74540...af6f8e9d6d3bd6

Type 2 - Designed to clip on to a 5mm carry handle and pivot to allow the EzUHF to remain upright in most positions.

http://www.shapeways.com/model/74585...5a99e986b3bbbc

Type 3 (coming soon) - Similar to type 1 but with the futaba module built in.

Navigator
    This is amazing, if you still need I can measure my EzUHF Tx once I am home, would love to have a Type 2 holder for my Aurora 9 =D

Instructor Pilot
    Teacup - do you have the newest EzUHF with the red bands at each end?

If you have an older one with just aluminium end plates (or I assume also the really old one with carbon end plates) then it should work as is. I just need to verify the fit isn't too tight around the EzUHF itself when my own arrives. You should probably check the diameter of the grab handle on your Tx too as it's designed for 5mm.

If you have the newer version with the red bumpers, then I have an idea for how to make it work assuming the case dimensions are the same. I would just need the distance between the two bumpers (in mm if you can please!)

Navigator
    I thought there were just 2 versions. I got the second so can't help with the dimensions

Great thread. I've only done some modeling in Google SketchUp and just on my own, but I was able to mock up my kitchen remodel and that worked out well! Nothing printed though. Maybe this isn't the place to ask but:

A) Any tips for beginners who are interested but can't take courses and just fit in here and there to learn more?

B) What's are the main skill sets you feel are needed to model for instance some of the parts you've made?

C) Is there specific software and computer OS needed to do what you do?

If you don't think think this is the thread, maybe one for beginners would be cool as I know a lot of folks make their own parts the old fashioned fabrication and primal garage methods, but mainly just because they know of no other way.

I'd love to bring more of my ideas to life with 3D printing and any insight you have on that would be great!

Well, I posted this long time ago, with little interest, but I am enjoying it a lot:

Instructor Pilot
    Sircana - lovely design and great video... I have no idea how to do any of the animation or simulation stuff lol.

Teacup - no worries, the good news is it'll fit your EzUHF as is then.... The only thing you need to check is grab handle diameter (if its different I can change the model for you).

Dave -

A) I'm only a beginner myself and as such shouldn't really give advice. Im sure there are others far better qualified to do so. I have no idea what I'm doing really... Only been playing with this stuff for a couple of weeks. That said, I just visualise what I want to build, then try and break it down into bits that I know how to build. If I need to achieve a shape or form I don't know how to do, I google for video guides or how-to's. the best thing IMO is just to have a play with all the different buttons and you'll start to get a feeling for what does what.

B) mainly being able to think mechanically and picture the item you want in your head. It may help to sketch it in 2D from a couple of angles and with some dimensions but I haven't personally felt the need to do so.

C) windows is superior here IMO, many more options. Bizarre given the design nature of the mac in general. Some software is available on mac too, the best of which is probably Autocad in my opinion. A free option on both is blender but I couldn't get to grips with it... Autocad is far more logical to me from a design perspective. Solidworks however is just amazing, but windows only.... Can be difficult to get your hands on though as it is expensive and only sold through specific resellers, generally as part of a service contract. As always there are other options available to you though.

Cool, thanks for the info.

Navigator
    If you have a Mac, AutoDesk Inventor Fusion is on par with SolidWorks and the like (it's a "prosumer" version in Autodesk's words).

Best of all, it's free, forever. Blender is free as well.

Also, check out TinkerCAD which is an online hosted CAD platform. It's $10 a month though. Still, it beats the thousand dollar price tags of typical CAD software packages.

Note: I have used none of the software mentioned and I just downloaded Inventor Fusion.
    Last edited by gaahrdner; 23rd October 2012 at 06:01 PM.

Page 1 of 134 1231151101 ... LastLast