FPVLAB

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Crash Safety. Glow vs Lipo?

Pilot

Crash Safety. Glow vs Lipo?

Or title this I shot some >25% nitro glow fuel with a shotgun and nothing at all happened.

So... I get hate every now and then by people that dislike the fact I primarily fly FPV with glow planes. Obviously I feel you can stuff it because even if i pile-drive a glow engine running WOT into the ground easily over 100mph (which I have done, fast enough to explode the wing in-flight). Nothing happens.
    Well. That's not fair, something happened. The air was filled with the aroma of having shot a shotgun and nitromethane. It was glorious!

I digress.

I get what you are saying, but I think people might think glow FPV is more dangerous because of the impact of such a large aircraft. Unlike in the movies, stuff doesn't explode on impact. Lipos or fuel for the most part.
    I don't care either way actually, just wanted to give me $.02

For those of us that have flown and grew up flying Nitro planes you'll never convince us LOL

For one, if you spent weeks building a plane and man, Balsa planes LOOK better, FLY better - you LEARNED to fly it or you spent weeks fixing it......nowdays with foam - crash, boom, tape and glue and voila.....and that's great for fly ing.....easier and cheaper.

But the nostalgic factor and power and economy of Nitro is still there.

Carbon Wait until we have a meet and Scott brings his glow plane down - he flew it 1.5 miles towards Mt Si - crashed it, came down in a tree and hurt nobody.
    Didn't catch on fire either!

Not that all planes catch on fire when they crash.

Electric, IMHO, only became affordable within the past couple years, prior to that I used to be able to buy a gallon of Nitro for $10 and fly all summer on it.

RIP Avastar - my main fly ing bird for 10 years..

ah yeah, and that Avistar was in a weight lifting contest - I lifted 8lbs with it, the glider that won (12' wingspan) lifted 12lbs......1/4 mile to land and stop carrying 8lbs but it got it up in the air.

Like to see a foamie do that LOL

THE Perfect FPV vehicle right here except for seeing the prop - but that lets you know the engine is running.

Last edited by Scotttu; 17th October 2012 at 08:27 PM.
    "Truly superior pilots are those who use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills"- Author unknown

KF7TRX

Pilot
    oh, obviously! everything you said is true! what im pointing out, is that barring you park a glow plane into a bonfire; it's not going to ever catch on fire in a crash. Even a really bad one. lipos dont always catch on fire, but the possibility always exists that if a charged lipo gets poked/ejected/slammed real hard and is breached. that big nasty thermal reaction & fire is looming. (for the record i've split old, fully discharged lipos and nothing at all happens. not even oxidation on their metallic cells)

Have to throw my .02 in... I started flying Nitro and still have them, though I don't fly them anymore. I agree that Nitro makes a great FPV platform, however... they are messy and require far more GSE (Ground Support Equipment). This is what has turned me off of glow, the noise that they make too. I would also like to point out that I have never seen a glow plane catch fire after a crash. I have seen a lot of crashes too.

Scott:Sweet! That's really awesome. What's the flight time on one of those? Great long range FPV aircraft.

Pilot
    depends heavily on throttle useage. for those size sport planes/engines you universally get about 1-1.5 minutes of wide open throttle per oz of fuel capacity. less throttle = longer flights.
    (not talking high speed/performance planes here) 2-stroke glow sport planes tend to be ported for flying at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle. so fuel consumption is much less in practice. especially doing enduro (where just like electrics you fly just above the stall speed at minimum throttle required to travel), or in mixed throttle flying. (If you take a 3D plane wide open throttle out of sight. that's a lot of fuel. what's not a lot of fuel is idling for the next 5 minutes coming back down!)

the kicker with 3 of those planes pictured is they have high-lift wings & if duration is your only goal, you can pack a boat-ton of fuel in them so they fly like a brick but loaf along.

Lets see if I can get this to work, it's on my home server, bout 2 megs in size.

This is my Tiger2, rather "rattly" but powerful.
    http://www.tngbbs.com/photo/rc/HighSpeedPass.wmv

This was my avastar, small pics - was experimenting with microsoft's HTML tool.

Nitro seems so impractical though with a good 4S setup but sure fun to reminsce about.

Last edited by Scotttu; 17th October 2012 at 09:28 PM.
    "Truly superior pilots are those who use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills"- Author unknown

KF7TRX

Carbon: An 11lb gasser crossed the atlantic in 38hrs... Range is not a problem.

http://www.progressiveengineer.com/p...aynardHill.htm

My buddy Dave has one of those little deisel engines that uses ether, it ran on 4 oz for about 20 minutes, he lands and still has 1/2 a tank left, albeit it's a small deisel it ran a 9" prop on a lightweight plane just fine.

KF7TRX

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast