Thread: GoPro ProTune and WiFi Back Pack App Now Available for GoPro Hero 2

Navigator

GoPro ProTune and WiFi Back Pack App Now Available for GoPro Hero 2

The ProTune firmware update ups the data rate from 17 mbps to 35 mbps and gives a narrow view option at 1080/30p.

The firmware update for the wifi Back Pac creates to wi fi network that works with the new iPhone and iPad app from the app store.

Tether the Back Pac with your iPhone and the GoPro Hero will stream video to your iPhone or iPad. You also can switch modes remotely from the app and trigger recording or photograph. Change settings, too.

I tested it a little just in the yard. The wifi signal isn't strong, but I had a house walls in the way.

Once you start recording, you lose the preview though, but it continues to record to the card.

The 35 mbps upgrade seems solid. Twice the data rate means better video.

FWIW

I tried it and am not impressed. The video looks bad! Sure it's not compressed, but there's also seemingly no tweaks done as far as color correction, sharpness, etc. I understand that it's geared towards the professional film industry, and those guys want that control over the video to do it how they want it done during post processing. For me though, I'll let the camera do the work for me, it does a great job already. The good thing is that Protune is just an added option in the settings, turn it on and off at will!
    AKA Bonafidepirate

Navigator
    W00t! Very excited to try it as well! I got it installed, but... not really going to put it through its paces tonight.

Keith, can you post any of your comparison videos?

daskim, it looks to me that the 1080p/30/narrow option has disappeared under T mode. I went looking for 720p/medium or narrow, but didn't find that either? I notice 720p/30 went away as well. Not sure I'll be using the 1080/25 or /24 options for aerial video... it's stroboscopic enough at 30.

Navigator
    I shot some T1080/30 today, which records fairly flat.

However, it color corrects really well. Was surprised. Now is they could just improve the lens.

So playing with this a bit more, those same ugly washed out blurry test clips cleaned up real well with GoPro's Cineform software. In the end they look pretty good. I can't say if they're any better than the normal clips or not, you'd have to do a side by side comparison to see. (I've already reverted back to the previous firmware) I think the real key benefit to the Protune mode is giving you total control over how the video is processed since it's done later on your PC. I can definitely see where people in the film industry will want that, but for me it's just not worth the extra steps and larger files when the normal video already looks so good with the Hero2. lol
    AKA Bonafidepirate

Now...if only they would cobble together a rev of their Cineform that doesnt crap out on a Mac

...sT

Navigator
    I just bought a Gopro 3 hero black. What is the best all around setting for recording while flying? I have a seperate vid camera for FPVing and just using the GP3 for recording. What would you recommend?

Thanks

TJ

Navigator
    1080/60p in NTSC land.

Navigator

None of the 4k and2.7 cin settings?

Navigator

Wide angle as well ?