Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why Flash ESC with SimonK

Navigator

Post Why Flash ESC with SimonK

Iv been reading a lot about the SimonK flashing. And see how to do it. But I can't tell why.

Can someone chime in as to why I should Flash my ESC?
    I understand it can speed things up to 490hz or so? But how will this affect my quad and its flight performance?
    What are some things my quad might do without it that would be solved with it??

It will be quieter and more locked in feel once tuned. Coming down from up high seem smoother and mine handles the wind better. Then again I didn't use my non-flashed esc for long.
    Whaka's Tinkerings blog --> http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread.php?36623-Whaka-s-Tinkering&p=631753#post631753
    Battle H Virus (home build basher quad tutorial) --> ]http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread.php?12544-Tutorial-Battle-H-Virus
    Range record on 5.8ghz 200mw 24km --> http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1441664

The one thing I know how to do well with FPV - crash. All in a day of fun!
    I believe landing is a full body experience .... I do my best to aim for your body.

unplugged
    OK here is how I understand it. . . most econo esc's (read less than $50 for 30 amp) run at 8khz refresh speed. At least that is what my rctimer ones do.
    After flashing with simonk FW (Thanks xxxxxx for helping me out) the refresh speed is 400khz (or maybe 490 I can't remember).

Sooo what that mean is instead of your motor being "told what to do" 8000 times a second, it is now being told what to do 400000 or 490000 times a second.
    What that usually relates to in multi rotor handling is a smoother flight. What I noticed when mine were flashed is my quad no longer wobbles in the wind like it used to and it also has a "tighter" feel over all.

That is how I understand it, Someone please correct me if I am wrong

unplugged
    Quote Originally Posted by whakahere View Post
    Coming down from up high seem smoother Then again I didn't use my non-flashed esc for long.
    OH yeah I forgot about the crazy descending wobbles I used to get with non flashed esc's. . . . .I used mine for like 6mo, lol

Navigator
    Thank you very kindly. Pretty much answers my question.
    My quad has some crazy wobbles. Handles the wind poorly. And descending and high power take offs cause is to wobble every time But I assumed that was my lack of pid tuning. I found something that was flyable and quickly stuck my camera on it to try fpv ( which is awesome!)
    But I also scarcely feel in complete control.
    Normally I'm flying. It's doing something bad. I do small corrections which turns out to not solve anything. then give it the beans and panic fly out of trouble.

Flashing them would pretty much solve that make my quad like I see on YouTube?

on a bicycle
    A quick correction, most ESCs take information at 400Hz, which means 400 times per second. The real limit is 500Hz, because the maximum pulse width of the PWM signal is 2 milliseconds, and there are only 500 of those in one second. SimonK's firmware increases the rate at which the ESC sends that information to the motor and at the same time removes some useless stuff that some ESCs do that are bad for multirotors. Wobbles should be tuned out though, new firmware has an equal chance of helping or not helping depending on where the problem lies. If you want ideal video just spend a shitload of time reducing vibrations and tuning.

Im lost
    It makes a huge difference in stability.

I think the most important is the FW removes an averaging function common to all regular escs mostly to filter quick throttle moves and thus reduce overall current spikes. Note this FW cannot be used for anything other than a multirotor, the throttle response is instantaneous, it would strip gears on a CP heli just like that.

There is also a significant increase in power levels, so you have much more precision on rotor speeds.

It has no voltage protection nor start-up delay.

Latest versions are also implementing complementary PWM which also improves deceleration performance.

Use with caution and always test the flashed esc with a current limited supply.

pls feel free to correct me, Im talking out of a tired brain right now.
    seeing the world through a security camera

Navigator
    What do you mean current limited supply?

Navigator
    And does it have like a throttle break to help slow down rotor speed when needed?

Reckless Video Operator squishy's Avatar
    this is why

Flight Club - "In thrust we trust"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast