Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: How to repair corrupted MP4 files from a GoPro.....for free!

Sorry I have no idea why it would do that. Maybe try copying the source files into a different folder. Or reboot and try again. Or maybe it's just not compatible with Windows 8. You could try it again on a Windows 7 computer or virtual machine. Other than that, don't know what to tell you.
    ~Patrick M.

YouTube Channel: youtube.com/user/SerithianFPV

Colorado FPV Pilot and Flying Site Map: mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=zjYlxx5w300I.kmgDGKOhrMAo

When I try to play the repaired file I get either a grey or green screen with some faint detail (I do get sound).

Can anyone shed some light? I don't mind paying for it, its just that I dont want to pay and then get another green screen.

Any help appreciated,
    Regards,
    Kevin.

I updated the first post of the thread with a new method that should work with v1.9.0.1 of the Grau video repair utility. I discovered that TRIPLING (rather than doubling) the video file size causes the latest version to once again repair 100% of the file (plus a little more where the video loops back and starts over, which you can manually edit out). Do this by simply running the copy command in the command line a second time, copying the original video into the doubled file an additional time so final file contains three copies of the original. This appears to get around whatever bugfix the developers made to stop the doubling hack. If they patch this too, I would recommend just keep copying new instances of the original into the file you are trying to repair and see if that confuses the program enough to make it repair the whole thing.
    ~Patrick M.

Colorado FPV Pilot and Flying Site Map: mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=zjYlxx5w300I.kmgDGKOhrMAo

Prelator Thank you for this thread, made me join the forum. I am trying to recover some files from an SD card that was in my GoPro 3+. I am able to use Grau to uncorrupt the files using the demo mode. It was able to capture 5 clips from a single file, so I tried your method of tripling the file size (using v 1.9.0.1). Ran the scan again and I got the same 5 clips, but 3 of each clip. Am I doing something wrong? Thanks for your time.

Edit: I will mention this but I don't think it makes any difference. I am on a Mac.
    Last edited by The_Iceman; 8th December 2014 at 03:55 PM.

So there are five distinct clips in a single corrupted video file? Is it recovering 100% of each clip 3 times, or 50% of each clip 3 times? Do you have the setting, "Detect new movie clips" turned off or on? Maye try flipping that and see what happens.
    ~Patrick M.

Looks to be 50% of each clip. Three times for each clip. The strange thing is the clips are not related to each other? Of the 5....2 are rafting videos, 2 are from the Boeing Plant in Redmond, WA, and the other is Driving along the coast North of Vancouver. Different days and original video files, but some how they all were lumped into this one 3.94gb file.

I will try with that setting on the tripled size file and report back.

Detect New Movie clips was on. I switched it off and I am running the scan again.

Scan Just completed with that setting turned off and I get the same thing. 15 clips total, but 5 clips repeated 3 times.

Hmm very odd. Maybe it doesn't work with a file that has multiple distinct clips. Have you tried using v1.8.0.0?
    ~Patrick M.

Just downloaded 1.8.0.0 but the mac version will not open for me. I am trying it on a virtual machine now.

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast