Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: How to repair corrupted MP4 files from a GoPro.....for free!

Navigator
    thank you anyway, appreciate the help and replies

Myles

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by prelator View Post
    I updated the first post of the thread with a new method that should work with v1.9.0.1 of the Grau video repair utility. I discovered that TRIPLING (rather than doubling) the video file size causes the latest version to once again repair 100% of the file (plus a little more where the video loops back and starts over, which you can manually edit out). Do this by simply running the copy command in the command line a second time, copying the original video into the doubled file an additional time so final file contains three copies of the original. This appears to get around whatever bugfix the developers made to stop the doubling hack. If they patch this too, I would recommend just keep copying new instances of the original into the file you are trying to repair and see if that confuses the program enough to make it repair the whole thing.
    So would it be....

cat /PATH/GOPR0002.MP4 /PATH/GOPR0002.MP4 /PATH/GOPR0002.MP4 > /PATH/GOPR0002tripled.MP4 ????

That looks correct to me.
    ~Patrick M.

YouTube Channel: youtube.com/user/SerithianFPV

Colorado FPV Pilot and Flying Site Map: mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=zjYlxx5w300I.kmgDGKOhrMAo

Navigator
    That looks correct to me.
    I tried this and i ended up getting 3 clips with 50% of the original video. Im using v1.9.0.1. I have a 21 second broken video and I'm getting 3, 11 second videos in the repaired folder. Im able to watch it now but only half.

Do you have scene detection turned off? I suspect that might be the cause of the problem if that is turned on since then the program could detect breaks between the clips.
    ~Patrick M.

Colorado FPV Pilot and Flying Site Map: mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=zjYlxx5w300I.kmgDGKOhrMAo

Navigator
    Just tried it with scene detection off and I'm still getting 3, 50% clips.

EDIT: Got it to work...copied the settings you had on the OP...THANK YOU!!!!
    Last edited by ChamCham; 20th January 2015 at 05:15 PM.

Navigator
    So I'm able to watch the repaired videos on a VLC program but nothing else. I can't watch them on the GoPro app, quicktime, windows media, or iMovie. Id like to make a video using these clips of my Firefighter training but can't seem to get them to work on anything other than VLC. They are all Mp4 files so why wouldn't they be able to work on anything else? The videos are SUPER choppy and it stutters to the point it won't play anymore but are perfect on VLC. I even used the "No CTTS Repair" option.

That might be a codec issue. VLC has a built-in video conversion/transcoding feature. I've never used it, but you should be able to use that to reencode the video into something more watchable.
    ~Patrick M.

Navigator
    That might be a codec issue. VLC has a built-in video conversion/transcoding feature. I've never used it, but you should be able to use that to reencode the video into something more watchable.
    Never knew that... I will have to try that. Thanks!

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by belfast2014 View Post
    Well I can suggest is you visit an organization for Data Recovery and get it done properly, if you try it yourself and fail, you could loose your data permanently.
    Hi buddy,

I'm from Ballymoney but i'm currently in Australia. I took a load of videos there yesterday snorkelling etc on the GoPro, but of course the first decent thing I do with it and I can't get it to play anything. I've tried VLC, copied everything to ensure I have a copy and then tried repairing them with Grau GmbH. No luck. Could you recommend a shop that can recover the data?? That would be a super help

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast