FPVLAB

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lets share some regional oddities

Im lost

Lets share some regional oddities

How about sharing some curious stuff about the place you live.

For example:

Yes this is the southern hemisphere. Yes this picture was taken today...

I fear the summer now. :O
    seeing the world through a security camera

Quote Originally Posted by roberto View Post
    I fear the summer now. :O
    You should fear that dude... he doesn't look to happy you wanted his pic! Who's he hiding from behind that sign anyway :-P

41 degrees? damn, it was colder than that here this morning, there was frost on the windows.

....oh wait.. celsius. =]
    Far better is it to dare mighty things, even though checkered by failure; than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

Im lost
    hehe,not my shot. I took if from the news... hes prob holding a candidate sign there ( municipal elections Oct ) . Every sign must have somebody holding it... so they hire whoever is available.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliDave View Post
    You should fear that dude... he doesn't look to happy you wanted his pic! Who's he hiding from behind that sign anyway :-P

Quote Originally Posted by aeryck View Post
    41 degrees? damn, it was colder than that here this morning, there was frost on the windows.
    LOL There's only one temp I know where C and F meet up - and I've been there~!

....oh wait.. celsius. =][/QUOTE]
    "Truly superior pilots are those who use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills"- Author unknown

KF7TRX

By regional oddities, I hope you're not planning to talk only about the weather?

Local airline Kulula have a sense of humour (open images in new tab for fullsize version):

I am originally from upstate New York... there is a food there that is local to the area, other places in the state don't know what it is!

Spiedie FAQ

Where did the term "Spiedie" originate?
    The name spiedie comes from "spiedo," the Italian word for "spit," and the sandwich originally was skewered cubes of marinated lamb that were grilled to a crisp and pulled off the spit using the slice of Italian bread that you ended up eating it with.

What's the best way to cook a Spiedie?
    After a 24 marinade in Lupo's Spiedie Marinade, the best way to cook a traditional Lupo's Spiedie is with metal skewers. Push 5-7 cubes of your preferred meat onto the metal skewers and grill for 10-12 minutes rotating as you cook. Cooking times vary depending on your grill temperature. Be sure not to overcook the spiedies. When you think they're finished take the largest piece of meat off the grill and cut in half. When there is no pink in the middle of the spiedie, you're ready to serve.

If cooking a large batch of spiedies, be sure to check out Lupo's Grill Wok. It's a great way to evenly cook spiedies on the grill without piercing the meat making them even more juicy and delicious.

What type of meats are Spiedie's made from?
    The first Spiedies were made from lamb but today chicken and pork are most popular. Ask any traditional Spiedie lover and they'll tell you there's nothing like a delicious traditional lamb Spiedie wrapped in our local Italian bread.

What's the proper way to eat a Spiedie after it comes off the grill?
    This one is simple. Grab a piece of soft, hand-cut italian bread, squeeze the cooked spiedies tightly in the bread and pull off the skewer. For a little extra kick, sprinkle a little extra Lupo's Spiedie marinade on the sandwich. Also be sure to try spiedies on your salad for a healthy way to spice up a meal.

There is even a local event called the Spiedie fest and Balloon Rally. If you are interested in trying spiedies you can order the marinade from Lupo's. My wife and I have to do this now as we live in Colorado.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spiedie
    http://www.spiediefest.com/
    Last edited by Derrick; 19th September 2012 at 01:15 PM.

Well, we have these..

Derrick, your Spiedie post reminded me of a uniquely South African (and specifically Durban) meal. It's called a bunny chow:

Bunny chow, a typical South African food, is a hollowed out portion of white bread filled with lamb, mutton, chicken or bean curry. The texture and taste of bunny chow is amazing. It’s like Indian comfort food. The sweetness of the bread tones down the spiciness of the curry, and as you let your bunny chow sit, the bread becomes soggy — creating a warm, messy, soggy pile of deliciousness. A technical note to anyone who is lucky enough to try bunny chow: it is frowned upon to use utensils. Just hold the bunny chow in your hand, and bite right in!
    Other South African food:

Bobotie (contains mince, egg, onion)

Braaivleis (barbecue)

Biltong (similar to beef jerky)

Drowors (dried sausage)

Im lost
    well, of course not

Quote Originally Posted by Moelich73 View Post
    By regional oddities, I hope you're not planning to talk only about the weather?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast