www.immersionrc.com

Thread: help with EZ transmitter

Navigator

Angry help with EZ transmitter

Hi so i have a big problem....

heres the story leading up.
    i have a dji f550 hexacopter, with gimbal and gopro.
    feeding off that i have the EZ 600 transmitter , the ezosd, sending video feed to the fat sharks all 5.8gh
    running off a 4s - 3200 lipo

i have had a few flights and before the EZ system i would get 6min off the battery but timed it at 5min so give me time to land. no biggy.

after attaching the EZ system i notited my batter level would be lower, no big deal running more items gives me less end use juice.
    but everytime i landed the transmitter seemed hot, thought this was normal as it is sending a singnal down and well it uses energy.
    again after each flight it would always be hot but the ezosd wasn't only the transmitter.

so today i took it out again my usual, about a min in the osd on my screen shows 16.7 for the battery level, now all of a sudden it is dropping like crazy.
    15.7 - 15.3 - 14.9 im going ok somethings wrong i need to land, 14.3-13.9 im trying to land right where i am not coming back to home nothing just want to sit this thing down, well about 20-30 feet up it lost all power and....well you know big crash.
    destroyed the gimbal, damadged my gopro, battery is toast. three arms gone, still need to test motors and esc's.

so first thing i do is check out the transmitter and boy is this thing hot, scorching that the plastic was melting.

i just tried to test the transmitter and osd and it all lights up but wont send a singnal to the fatsharks, and i put a heat gun to it and in seconds its running over 100degres.

i am uploading a video to youtube which will take about an hour but then i will link to it.

im just trying to find answers/solutions, was the transmitter the cause of this all? what can be done, what could i have done to prevent this, or was it just a bad one?

please do not think i am hear to crap on immersionRC, this is not the point of my thread, i am very happy with the system but again maybe i got a bad transmitter and didnt know what to look out for, just looking for help/answers as this was not a cheap crash and it was far from pilot fault, i would be happy to admit it if it was me.
    the crap thing is i didnt record the video of what i was seeing with the OSD.
    im still new at this and am not that advanced yet.lol

gimbal - $240
    two servors for gimbal - $45 x2 = $90
    dji arms $30 each x3 = $90
    motors and esc's?? dont know if any are damadged yet need to test.??
    gopro hero 2 - $350 or lens replacement and it should be ok still need to test.
    naza gps and gyro , should be good this thing landed right on its feet.. hard but on its feet the gimbal took the grunt of it all.??
    immersion osd and transmitter $180 + $80 = $260

ouch this just put a big damper on my RCing.

but there is worse things in life trust me, goto youtube and search "Angelina Elizabeth Bianco" and you will understand where i am coming from and why this doesnt faze me.

oh P.S. thanks for looking and trying to provide some answers.

Navigator
    Hi Chris, I know TRACKS spoke with you about my issue, please let me know what ever info you need from me and i will be happy to assist, your time and help with this is very much appriciated.

Navigator
    Hi trevlan, sorry for the loss.
    Could it also be possilble that your LIPO failed ?.
    Why? Because if your Vtx would drain a 4S 3200mA lipo in just seconds as you mention, i think it would be as
    black as charcoal. .
    It means that your Vtx must have draw more than 60 amps in that few seconds. Nothing in that Vtx can draw 60 amps for serveral seconds?
    Maybe a short in the power leads ?.
    And 100 degrees F as Vtx temp is not bad at al .

Just my thoughts
    Last edited by Steve-o; 13th September 2012 at 01:20 AM.

Navigator
    LIPO's were tested and although damaged in the fall all the connectors and voltage is fine all reading proper, and the battery was sitting at 15.7 volts, the EZosd told me it was down to 14.1 the lowest i remember. so the battery did not drain as the OSD had told me.

it was well over 100 the plastic was melting all around the AMP for the 600mw and on the otherside.
    but no wires were fried, so that is confusing to me.

Im still waiting on Chris or Anthony for a reply.....
    see what their thoughts are.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
    Hi trevlan, sorry for the loss.
    Could it also be possilble that your LIPO failed ?.
    Why? Because if your Vtx would drain a 4S 3200mA lipo in just seconds as you mention, i think it would be as
    black as charcoal. .
    It means that your Vtx must have draw more than 60 amps in that few seconds. Nothing in that Vtx can draw 60 amps for serveral seconds?
    Maybe a short in the power leads ?.
    And 100 degrees F as Vtx temp is not bad at al .

Just my thoughts

Navigator
    anyone???

Navigator
    EDITED:

I can only confirm that I had a problem with the failing of one of the 2 new Tx's I own.
    It got very hot in a matter of seconds (above 110 degrees C), and failed when testing on the workbench. The shrinkwrap was melted on the same place as with yours.

The other Tx performs as it should, and only warms up to about 45 degrees C.
    I had the faulty Tx replaced under warranty with my dealer with no problems, and the replacement Tx is also performing OK.
    Last edited by MeMoo; 22nd September 2012 at 04:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MeMoo View Post
    I can only confirm that I had the same problem with one of the 2 new Tx's I own.
    What problem? I think you fail to understand that for a electronic device to empty a LiPo in mere seconds requires an enormous amount of power to be dissipated. The Vtx hasn't got the heatsinking nor the current handling capacity to allow for this. The maximum current draw is about 3.5W, which means it can run for hours on a typical flightpack LiPo. It is IMPOSSIBLE for the Vtx to empty a LiPo in mere seconds, that would reduce it to a black, smoldering heap molten metal and electronic bits in a few seconds.
    Velvety smooth drone pilot for hire

Navigator
    You are of course right Sander; my bad...I was referring to a very small part in this post.
    I was not referring to the drainage of the LiPo in a few seconds, but to the failing of the VTx and the sudden temperature rise I experienced recently.

I had one of my brand new VTx's fail in a matter of seconds. The temperature rose to well above 110 degrees C, and the shrinkwrap was molten. On the replacement VTx, the other new VTx, and that of my 'older type' IRC-Vtx I have never experienced that.

So I assume that it is possible to stumble upon a faulty VTx once in a while. That's all...
    I have edited my previous post above to that effect.
    Last edited by MeMoo; 22nd September 2012 at 04:07 AM.

Navigator
    it didnt drain the lipo, i think i mentioned the lipo was still 90% full, but the reading was dropping for some unknown reason.
    all im trying to do is find the source and fix it not lay blame.

your help in my search is greatly appriciated.
    the new TX is running much better but my EZOSD is going crazy.

trying to get a sat, it goes 4-5 sats then 0 then 4 then 0 and back and fourth.
    then it shows im doing 225km/h climbing over 2200 feet alt and over 3000feet away from home... i was sitting idle on the ground.

so now i wonder if the tx that fried on me ended up hurting the gps?? any ideas/thoughts?
    should i try to replace it also or some other options you can provide?

thanks sander, great of you to help out here.