FPVLAB

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New round trip world record 111/222 Km!!!

Roberto, that distance makes my head hurt. How did you fly for such a long time?!? I mean, not how did you fly it, but how did you not get horribly bored and turn around?? I would have peed myself if I had to sit that long.

Wayne: let's try to keep on his achievement here, it is amazing after all!

Hey guys this is Roberts thread the techpod debate can happen else ware. Just wanted to put in 2 cents not hijack this thread. Btw Robert I can help you get even farther with some different motor / battery set ups. And get that camera out of the wind . That will create more drag then a 6 inch diameter fuse . But that said you are pushing the limits in radio gear. Not sure if going farther would do any good. The radio gear is obviously the limiting factor.

Wayne - I don't think you get it. Roberto doesn't need help getting further. This guys uses 38 to 54 seconds of motor on 5 - 6 hour flights 60+ miles out (1 way). The motor is essentially useless (or not used, depending on how you look at it) for his flying style. When you're using 60 seconds of motor in 6 hours you don't gain much in motor/prop setups. Also - when you're pulling power from the sun you don't gain much in battery setups - he's a guy who's basically thought of everything.

His number one competition needs a bigger tank to remain competetive - that adds weight, so for PixtureThis the added weight should merit some forethought into motor/prop combo or you'll get to the point of diminishing returns. For Roberto - he can *basically* hit any distance he wants - he never needs powered flight... at least not in the sense that other range fliers do.

Roberto isn't running out of radio - if he runs out of anything it will be running out of Earth (lol), and combating the curvature (assuming he is flying from a car/chair sitting on the ground). But not just the curvature needs to be accounted for - also the atmospheric refraction. Before long - he'll need to elevate the antenna on the ground a significant distance if he keeps this up (balloons??) - unless he wants to start playing signal bouncing games.
    Last edited by SENTRY; 11th September 2012 at 11:00 PM.
    "I Like Waffles" : FPVLab on Facebook and FPVLab on Twitter

Im lost
    awesomeness to the extreme.

balloons WTF, Im sure there are some hills in Spain.
    seeing the world through a security camera

Got a real strong urge to construct a retractable motor support to mount on the Windsong, the solar cell charging on the other hand i'd need to get some more info on. Given the right conditions, this is one glider that doesn't want to come down either.
    KF7TSE

youtube.com/channel/UCzoOpmJK8_WOlBl65sZAfGw
    vimeo.com/airtruksrus/videos

Airtruksrus Cockpit Ground Station Systems.
    Open for business
    Always under revision to make it better.

YOU must bring the Change DeltaMan's Avatar
    Hello All.
    I'd like to give my Greek congratulations too to Roberto for that New thrilling flight.
    Long distance counts much on the FPV fun world, but it counts more (in my opinion) on the UAV world, when you loose your sleep overnight, dreaming of that platform that will patrol for the forest fires, or find missing people up on the mountains... !

Much Respect on your efforts gentlemen, as I know that achievements like that come from team work. Now, it's time to built a Tracker for that Dish, and have Roberto launch from a High enough mountain with the ocean ahead of him and a boat following his plane...

Navigator
    WOW congrats on the record Roberto.

What radio gear dit you use ?

Nice setup regarding the offset dish, but also tricky to aim at the target because of the very narrow beam.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
    WOW congrats on the record Roberto.

What radio gear dit you use ?

Nice setup regarding the offset dish, but also tricky to aim at the target because of the very narrow beam.

Thank you everybody!! Video is under edition, will be online soon.

The Radio gear is Thomas Scherrer LRS UHF using a yagi 11 db in the tx.

It is not that tricky to aim the dish. I could do it by myself at the same time as I was piloting the airplane.

Quote Originally Posted by wayne garris View Post
    Hey guys this is Roberts thread the techpod debate can happen else ware. Just wanted to put in 2 cents not hijack this thread. Btw Robert I can help you get even farther with some different motor / battery set ups. And get that camera out of the wind . That will create more drag then a 6 inch diameter fuse . But that said you are pushing the limits in radio gear. Not sure if going farther would do any good. The radio gear is obviously the limiting factor.
    Thank you Wayne for your advices, I will take care about it. Your airplane looks good but I am not interested in powered flight.

Navigator
    is there any info on the solar power setup? looks interesting

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast