FPVLAB

Page 3 of 281 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: AH-6Z Littlebird Night-Ops build project

Where did you get that lens?

I'm following this because the MD500, MH-6, AH-6, is my favorite helicopter. I got to see some when I was an avionics tech in the USAF Special Operations Command. The 160th SOAR (Special Operations Aviation Regiment) would come down and paly with us every once and a while and bring thier toys.

Quote Originally Posted by sim_io View Post
    My favorite helicopter from the Battlefield games
    Desert Combat fan?

Another awesome project Zee.
    Where did you buy the lens?
    Sub'd and drooling...

Instructor Pilot
    the lens is from surveillanceparts.com http://www.surveillanceparts.com/pro...rd-Camera.html

I wouldn't rush out and buy one though, don't know how it performs yet! needs to be used with a compatible camera of course too.

I've screwed down the seats (about 60mm apart - enough to allow the front of the t-rex 600 frame between them if necessary) and fitted the cyclic controls, minus servos and linkages for now.

Looks pretty good I think (imagining it all painted), and puts the cyclic stick into a good position. At least collective will be easy - I'll just attach the lever directly to a servo arm and install the servo in the side of the seat.

Not yet sure if I'm going to duplicate controls or leave it as a single pilot bird. I have a feeling the controls moving might get in the way of my gunner.

Last edited by Zeeflyboy; 12th September 2012 at 09:30 AM.

Being a night ops bird, you should green filter all of your interior screens for NVG compatibility, and see if there's a way to tint the video feed green

Brooks, N7BLD

Sweet! That looks so cool, I wish I had the talent!

Dude! You are the man! Looking amazing, I will be following this thread closely.
    FPV is not a crime!

executiveprinters.com
    printingplusfl.com

The tiny fpv screen is an awesome idea, its fpv within fpv ha. Are you going to set a camera switch so you can enlarge the OSD and go back and forth to the main pilot camera?

Instructor Pilot
    The idea is that by night the cockpit will be illuminated by green LEDs in the roof, and some very limited forward visibility on the ground afforded by the 1W landing light/surrounding lighting... when actually flying at night the plan would be to switch to the "FLIR" view as though you were putting on your NV goggles. I have in my mind the image of spooling up with the cockpit view looking around, then switching to FLIR mode and away you go....

The "FLIR" will be permanently in black and white to simulate a different kind of view, and will be the only camera with OSD... the cockpit camera will be "pure" with no OSD display, but audio alerts will still come through the audio channel (eg low fuel etc). I may set up some simple LED warning/mode lights too.

The basic wiring for the video system goes something like this:

"FLIR" camera goes direct to OSD, then from OSD (maybe through a video splitter... might not be needed) to the cockpit display and to a two way video switch. The cockpit camera goes directly to this switch. The switch then feeds a video splitter which splits whichever video stream is selected (ch9 will select) between two imrc 5.8ghz vTXs operating on separate video channels.

simple huh? lol...

Anyhoo...

I've decided I'll just build my own upper cockpit section. I've ordered some 1.6mm fibreglass sheet to that effect... makes fitting the screens much easier and gives me more control over the appearance.

I knocked up this mock up of the dash, all to scale and correct. If you look carefully you can probably see faint red lines around the right screen - these denote the entire module and viewable area dimensions respectively of the 2" display. As you can see I'm cutting down the size slightly by making the hole smaller so I will be able to make it match the 1.8" photo viewer screen, which will be displaying radar images or navigation displays etc etc.

It's just a rough idea of what I'll need to build (all in 3D of course, not a flat print out), but what do you think? The first photo compares it to the dash that comes with the kit.

You are my hero. Just dont crash.
    FPV is not a crime!

executiveprinters.com
    printingplusfl.com

Very very cool project. Do you plan on mounting the flir cam on the in side or outside the cockpit, and if inside are you concerned about the cam seeing the physical heat of the windshield rather than looking through it like a normal cam would do?
    Some fly for attitude, others for altitude

Page 3 of 281 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast