HobbyUAV

Page 192 of 193 FirstFirst ... 92142182190191192193 LastLast
Results 1,911 to 1,920 of 1928

Thread: The Techpod!!!

Forum Member
    Doug, My project is an old Rosenthal kit of a 1/3 scale Nimbus 4D glider. I've had it for a very long time, and never completed it. This may be the Winter it gets done, we'll see. Your project is quite an undertaking. A giant Stik to fly above the clouds. Don't tell the AMA or the FAA, big no-no?? Good luck with all the design and fab issues, and stay on schedule--the eclipse won't wait for common man.

Larry

Forum Member
    Larry,

Yeah that above-the-clouds bit is a mental trip my collaborator talks about. It is unlikely IMHO.
    We've got a long way to go before this bird gets in the air. I am working the wing up and he has the rest to do.

I am not holding my breath as there are cameras to set up, autopilots to install, downlinks to make work and a dozen other items anybody here will tell you that can go wrong.

-=Doug
    KB4FEM

Forum Member
    I figured Nicks videos were enough to guide most throughout the build. I've owned about 3 Techpod and only have one that I actually put together as a kit, still not completely finished yet but is in the works. The other 2 were constructed by Scotttu and the first one had to be retired due to the airframe becoming more of a hassle to keep flyable, definitely like the run down old car that you can't keep up with what goes wrong with it next. The second one he built without operating flaps and flies much better with only a single 5000 4s. As for goop, I would stay away from foam as it attacks the foam severely. 15 minute epoxy and gorilla glue/water have worked quite reliably so far, just an awesome and reliable platform for loitering or maximizing range during high lift conditions.

I do have a large glider in addition to the extreme surfer that I look at from time to time, thinking it would be great to see a Windsong with fpv.
    KF7TSE

youtube.com/channel/UCzoOpmJK8_WOlBl65sZAfGw
    vimeo.com/airtruksrus/videos

Airtruksrus Cockpit Ground Station Systems.
    Open for business:cool:
    Always under revision to make it better.

Forum Member
    As soon as I get more adept on the Solidworks program, might do some experiments on wingtip design with winglets. Either way, if someone has a design already in .stl format, I can print it up.
    KF7TSE

Forum Member
    Anyone know why all of Scott's photos in this thread are not available for viewing? Some photos (Wayne's I think) are available, but the ones downloaded by others are not. Sure loose a lot of info/help when these things happen. I can see the tiny little things that show where a photo should be, but the actual photos can't be seen.

Larry Fitch

Forum Member
    Probably because the photo was hosted at another site and the link is dead or the photo is gone.
    That's a common problem with forum sites, dead picture links.

When I post pics, I try to do them as an attachment and avoid off site links.

-=Doug
    KB4FEM

Forum Member
    Haven't had many issues yet with photobucket losing photos yet, never been able to upload any onto the labs though.
    KF7TSE

Forum Member

Techpod 3d file help

Hey guys, its been a long time since I've posted in here. Now that I have some free time I'm trying to make a final push to get my Techpod flying.

Wayne has a 3d file of the Techpod loaded to grabcad.(http://grabcad.com/library/the-techpod-1#) My issue is the version of the file that loads on Autodesk Fusion 360 or 123d Design is not editable (at least by my low skill level) by each real world part. When you click a part you can only crab that panel or shell your mouse point clicks on and not the whole part.

I really want two main things:

-a solid editable top hatch. We all know the TP is limited in space and the stock top hatch wastes alot of volume, and I want more volume above my batter for avionics.

-an editable camera bay plug, which did not come with the kit but shows up in the cad model.

Can someone with more skill edit the grabcad file to where I can have solids to edit and print?

-Daryl
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screen cap camara pod.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	294.5 KB 
ID:	74833
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screen cap avionics bay hatch.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	302.4 KB 
ID:	74832

Forum Member
    There is many possibilities as I started looking at minor ways to modify the fuselage, thanks for the link to grabcad. The thickness of the foam does limit much of the available room inside, was thinking of how light a fiberglass pod would improve on equipment setup location. A couple printable items would help out, might be able to bring it up on Solidworks. Still on the learning curve, might make a good exercise.
    KF7TSE

Forum Member
    Awesome, cant wait to see what you come up with. I'm also going to go post this in the DIY section and see what they come up with.

If there was a simple way to make a part a solid it would make things easy. Ive even tried contacting Wayne but there was no response, maybe he will see it here. I wish I know what program he natively used to design the CAD version. I'm sure he has a part by part file, but I understand why he may be unwilling to share those original files.