HobbyUAV

Page 178 of 193 FirstFirst ... 78128168176177178179180188 ... LastLast
Results 1,771 to 1,780 of 1928

Thread: The Techpod!!!

You need to think in terms of km/whr/pound of battery carried. You need good weight carrying efficiency to fly far.

By the math, having flown 9.5 miles on 2200 mah, I should be able to do my flight (10.5 miles) on that same battery and have spare in case the glide ratio is not up to par.
    The 12x6 made the difference, could have saved my last techpod by using a 12" prop!

I'll be at 6500' 10.5 miles out when I begin my glide back, I think I will be able to glide back but having that extra 1500mah will work....if I did the math correctly

So what is my efficiency?
    Or how do I calculate that?
    "Truly superior pilots are those who use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills"- Author unknown

KF7TRX

The way I think about efficiency is Watt-hours/kilometer. For a 4s battery like you fly, 2200mAh (2.2Ah) represents 14.8*2.2 or 32.5Wh. If you fly 9.5 miles (about 15km) total that makes about 2.1W/km.

This number is very high (meaning inefficient) and would be consistent with your plane and the chimera being similar in efficiency, I've looked at data for wings and they are mostly* 2W and over. I flew my techpod around 1.2W/km and I think Hockeystud was at 1.5W/km with some horrific drag issues in his original build.

THere are many reasons why you might be inefficient, here is a short list

1) Flying on a windy day. Wind makes a big difference. If I'm flying for range I get up really early when it is calm (and there is no traffic).
    2) Flying too fast. You want to fly at the best L/D (lift over drag). This speed is the most efficient and is probably slower than most people fly.
    3) Not flying an optimal flight profile. Fly out climbing at your reverse glide ratio (techpod about 80m/km) at best L/D speed and glide home.
    4) Not using a folding prop. Makes a difference in glide ratio coming home.
    5) Is your prop/esc/motor optimized? I have trouble with this but I am told I am probably giving up 10-20% here.

All this said you can put in 4s10000 and make 10miles without breaking a sweat.

Good luck, you got it!

*ChrisG gets a hobbyking phantom to fly very efficiently...I suspect he is getting the most out of his motor/battery/prop...since generally flying wings are not super efficient since they are generaly low aspect wings.
    Last edited by Hucker; 27th September 2014 at 10:51 AM.
    KF7SKL,TechPod/Walrus/250mmQuad/HoneyBadger, EZUHF,SL-AAT, 1G3/2G4/5G8

Thanks Hucker!
    So PIE is the equation, P=I*E\Km ?

I'm not going to do the 10k battery thing due to weight. I *might* buy an single 8000 though or 6500.
    That was a maiden and I did romp on the gas a bit, flying in a circle got boring and the cam was not up to par for any sort of range. (Since replaced).

I think I'm going to put the 5000 in it, take it out to Dewatto and let her rip tater chip - I'll fly it out 3500mah worth and see what goes.

Have to go daughter-car shopping and Chanterelle mushroom hunting this weekend also, hopefully time to fly!
    "Truly superior pilots are those who use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills"- Author unknown

KF7TRX

Learn your glide ratio very well. I make my turn at 11V (on 3s) and with 0 throttle glide all the way home. You need to really trust you gear to do this because there is little margin...but that is when I'm trying to get as much as possible. You will have PLENTY of juice so it should be down to video signal and control signal for you. As I said you got it no problem. The 10mi for the techpod is nothing.
    KF7SKL,TechPod/Walrus/250mmQuad/HoneyBadger, EZUHF,SL-AAT, 1G3/2G4/5G8

10mi is nothing with this plane. I took the 875mm Skyfun 15km out and back, so there's absolutely no reason you can't do it on this.

Deleted by hobby uav. (copyright violation)
    Last edited by Hobby UAV; 28th September 2014 at 12:55 PM.

@Scotttu Congratulations on the successful maiden flight! Thank you for the info and updates.

@ChrisG. That's some serious distance and a lot of millamps! Would you mind sharing your setup too?
    Last edited by Dizzee; 28th September 2014 at 04:10 AM.

Sorry bud, I tried to help but Wayne just deletes my posts.
    If you read back through this thread you'll see I was an original kickstarter contributor and have an original techpod that cost me over $350 for a bare airframe but as found by many other owners waynes structural design was not upto the task of long range, So I built a cyclops and flew it to the records I originally set out to do on the techpod.

I only post info that does not promote the other design and I still get Wayne deleting my posts?
    Now I'm going to take to hint and leave for good.

I don't really understand why he's still being like this over a design he released to the public as open source and avail for anyone to copy back in May.

http://diydrones.com/m/blogpost?id=7...Post%3A1648111

Over n out.
    Chris.
    Last edited by ChrisG; 28th September 2014 at 04:12 PM.

ChrisG,
    It was released publicly with a license. That license has terms. John Smith, the guy you bought the airplane from and posted pictures of, is in violation of said terms. Purchasing an unlicensed copy of product comes with consequences.

You argument that a previous purchase or support of the design some how gives you the ability to openly violate my creative right is a bunch of crap.

I have asked you to not post any images of the"cyclops" please do not as I will be forces to take action.