Thread: 5.8 ghz record attempts

5.8 ghz record attempts

Hello guys, in this thread I will post video and equipment tried and used for 5.8ghz record attemtps.

I will start with the new record made by fpvlr.com with a pinwheel antenna on the model and a 16 turn + truncated cone reflector in the rx.

Video quality is bad at record distance mostly because the dvr recorder does not record well through static.
    I will try and improve the video quality also at 20+ km ranges.

The good thing about the record is that it clears any doubt for new-comers if FPVLR antennas work!
    www.fpvlr.com - Home of your favourite Custom FPV antennas.

It would be great to see pictures of your plane, the layout of it and pictures of the antenna. Of course only if you are will to share

Keep up the great work, currently I'm doing some range testing as well but you are far beyond me so far. Keep going as I never thought 20km was possible with the 200mw gear.
    Whaka's Tinkerings blog --> http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread.php?36623-Whaka-s-Tinkering&p=631753#post631753
    Battle H Virus (home build basher quad tutorial) --> ]http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread.php?12544-Tutorial-Battle-H-Virus
    Range record on 5.8ghz 200mw 24km --> http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1441664

The one thing I know how to do well with FPV - crash. All in a day of fun!
    I believe landing is a full body experience .... I do my best to aim for your body.

Nice, but how about some pictures of the equipment and antennas used, and the plane of course, most planes are not able to do a 40km roundtrip.
    Purveyor of the FPV secret sauce at ImmersionRC

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kondor1.jpg 
Views:	760 
Size:	71.3 KB 
ID:	13605Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kondor2.jpg 
Views:	715 
Size:	65.5 KB 
ID:	13606Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kondor3.jpg 
Views:	655 
Size:	68.8 KB 
ID:	13607Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kondor4.jpg 
Views:	748 
Size:	76.6 KB 
ID:	13608Click image for larger version. 

Name:	16helix.jpg 
Views:	852 
Size:	64.3 KB 
ID:	13609Click image for larger version. 

Name:	16helix2.jpg 
Views:	850 
Size:	57.4 KB 
ID:	13610Sure, here we go...

The plane has more than 500 hours on it, so it's almost due to retire.
    I had called it Kondor, when I built it ( I believe there is a build thread in the hangar queens section somewhere), that was before the skywalker condor came and stole the name ... haha.

So It's got 180cm WS, but the chord is huge, like 34cm for the center piece, rg15 airfoil.

It weighs like 2.5kg, with 10A 3s, it can catch thermals quite well and has a good glide ratio when there is little wind, with 3s 10000 it's good for 50km round trip, with no aid from thermals, of course when I catch great thermals to 2000m altitude, I am not trying for a record.. .just my luck.

Here you can see pictures of the plane, the antenna used (the one from the unrecorded record which had better quality video, the one used to replicate it sucked and got discarded already).
    You can also see pictures of the 16 turn and the truncated cone.

The truncated cone adds 1.5-2 dbi to a helical, hence total gain is about 17.5-18 but a 16turn helix is way too inefficient. I will try a different antenna, which is a 40cm diameter parabolic reflector with a 243mm focal length (that's all I could find), and the illuminator is a 6 turn helix with a single loop used as a reflector, and conductor matching. This should yield about the same dbs as the previous antenna, maybe just a couple db more, but it will be more efficient.
    Unfortunately I have to run the coax (I only have rg-316 on hand at those lenghts) for 35cm through the pv tube to connect to the rx on the other side of the dish.. That's just for now until the rx module I ordered comes in, than I will just have the rx module attached directly to the helix to limit losses.
    The distance of the illuminator is not optimized quite yet, so I don't know how it will behave.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dish.jpg 
Views:	902 
Size:	45.3 KB 
ID:	13611  
    www.fpvlr.com - Home of your favourite Custom FPV antennas.

Wow that is some great distance. I have an antenna tracker with a true rc 18.5 dbi antenna and an an immersionrc 600mw vtx I'll be testing soon. I'd love to get anywhere even close to half those numbers.
    Last edited by charles hidalgo; 24th August 2015 at 12:05 AM.

If you have placed vtx on your machine so it doesn't get blocked then you should get 5km clear pretty damn easy. Antenna tracking and high dbi antennas can be a great way to fly, even for short range. I used to use one whenever I flew one of my big planes. The great thing about 5.8ghz is that it doesn't really effect other electronics so the goal with range is to place this where it has nothing near the antenna lobes or could block them.
    Whaka's Tinkerings blog --> http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread.php?36623-Whaka-s-Tinkering&p=631753#post631753
    Battle H Virus (home build basher quad tutorial) --> ]http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread.php?12544-Tutorial-Battle-H-Virus
    Range record on 5.8ghz 200mw 24km --> http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1441664

The one thing I know how to do well with FPV - crash. All in a day of fun!
    I believe landing is a full body experience .... I do my best to aim for your body.

Great thread. We took a wing out 17k on a big 5.8ghz transmitter a year or two back. Ran a 5 and 7 turn homemade helical paired with a spw on diversity on seperate ground stations. Had picture on both the whole way. I remember we were stoked. Good luck with it.
    Last edited by figgoatfpv; 30th August 2015 at 12:43 AM.
    This is what it is.

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by Kondor-FPV View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kondor1.jpg 
Views:	760 
Size:	71.3 KB 
ID:	13605Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kondor2.jpg 
Views:	715 
Size:	65.5 KB 
ID:	13606Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kondor3.jpg 
Views:	655 
Size:	68.8 KB 
ID:	13607Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kondor4.jpg 
Views:	748 
Size:	76.6 KB 
ID:	13608Click image for larger version. 

Name:	16helix.jpg 
Views:	852 
Size:	64.3 KB 
ID:	13609Click image for larger version. 

Name:	16helix2.jpg 
Views:	850 
Size:	57.4 KB 
ID:	13610Sure, here we go...

The plane has more than 500 hours on it, so it's almost due to retire.
    I had called it Kondor, when I built it ( I believe there is a build thread in the hangar queens section somewhere), that was before the skywalker condor came and stole the name ... haha.

So It's got 180cm WS, but the chord is huge, like 34cm for the center piece, rg15 airfoil.

It weighs like 2.5kg, with 10A 3s, it can catch thermals quite well and has a good glide ratio when there is little wind, with 3s 10000 it's good for 50km round trip, with no aid from thermals, of course when I catch great thermals to 2000m altitude, I am not trying for a record.. .just my luck.

Here you can see pictures of the plane, the antenna used (the one from the unrecorded record which had better quality video, the one used to replicate it sucked and got discarded already).
    You can also see pictures of the 16 turn and the truncated cone.

The truncated cone adds 1.5-2 dbi to a helical, hence total gain is about 17.5-18 but a 16turn helix is way too inefficient. I will try a different antenna, which is a 40cm diameter parabolic reflector with a 243mm focal length (that's all I could find), and the illuminator is a 6 turn helix with a single loop used as a reflector, and conductor matching. This should yield about the same dbs as the previous antenna, maybe just a couple db more, but it will be more efficient.
    Unfortunately I have to run the coax (I only have rg-316 on hand at those lenghts) for 35cm through the pv tube to connect to the rx on the other side of the dish.. That's just for now until the rx module I ordered comes in, than I will just have the rx module attached directly to the helix to limit losses.
    The distance of the illuminator is not optimized quite yet, so I don't know how it will behave.
    AS a newb to this forum, Hi!, I'm sorry to point that the helical fed dish for 5.8ghz you have posted a picture of is an offset feed type, so putting the feed in the center like that does not work. I've build 10 GHZ waveguide fed offset TV dish (not RC related) and I used two DOS pc programs from the ARRL Handbook (can't find the links Googling right now) but here is an online calculator: http://www.satellite-calculations.co...treflector.htm

Cheres