Thread: 8dBi Patch Range Issues??

Navigator

Wink 8dBi Patch Range Issues??

Welcome,

Quick question for you. I have an L-Com 2.4 8dbu patch. Trying to troubleshoot range problems, I noticed that there is continuity between the center pin and the outside of the sma connector. I contacted the vendor (Tim at rmrc) and he sent me another one, but this one was also shorted. Tim then checked with some of the antennas he had on stock and they were also like that, so he concluded that it might be a design feature that makes them measure like that. Now, that might mean that they may not work with some airwave receivers. But my question is whether it is indeed a design feature that there is continuity.

Thanks,

Juan

Thank you for the welcome Juan! We're excited to be here!

Juan I will get an engineer here to answer that and will send it in PM if that's OK. Thanks for the question!
    Last edited by SENTRY; 27th July 2012 at 11:35 AM.

Engineer for Jesus Christ IBCrazy's Avatar
    Is it a CP patch or a linear patch?
    If it is broken, fix it. if it isn't broken, I'll soon fix that.

videoaerialsystems.com - Performance video piloting

Navigator
    It's a linear patch, Alex, and they confirmed over PM that they have a dc bias. Do you know if the 2.4 Airwave receivers have a problem with that?

Engineer for Jesus Christ IBCrazy's Avatar
    The CP models don't have the DC junction (bias is in the TX/RX btw). As far as I know there is no conflict with Airwave VRX. Have you ruled out that the issue could be noise floor?

-Alex
    If it is broken, fix it. if it isn't broken, I'll soon fix that.

videoaerialsystems.com - Performance video piloting

Navigator
    Sorry, right, didn't mean bias. The linear patch definitely has the dc junction, as confirmed by an L-com engineer.
    I thought of the conflict with the Airwave based on what you said here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=786
    "It's only the 2.4GHz airwave modules that have an issue."

EDIT: Sorry, I think you might be referring to something else there.

It might be noise floor, but shouldn't the patch give me better range than the stock omni given the same noise floor?

FPV FTW!
    You may want to check your wire harness on your plane. Noise going to your VTx will definitely effect your range. Also try a different antenna on your plane. Are you using a stock whip? Try a Vee. Also, try filtering the wires going to the vtx and see if that gives you anymore range. I was getting about 2km max with 1.2ghz and an 8db patch. I re wired my plane with shielded wire and torroids and I just flew to 3km with perfect video. Limiting factor was my battery, but I could have gone further with the video.

Navigator
    I've tried the stock and a Vee, same results. I'm using the wires supplied with ezosd, are those shielded?

FPV FTW!
    I use Dragon OSD, but my guess is no. Try adding torroids to your wires right before the VTx and see if that helps.