FPVLAB

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: A high gain CP OMNI finally! Parasitic Lindenblad

Quote Originally Posted by msev View Post
    Even if it is small..everything can be made in enough tries...So I hope you will be a nice bloke and scan the circulator, make a pdf and post it on fpvlab..Since I have access to a VNA I could make them and tune them myself..Hope you will be cooperative..Will you make a tutorial? Is this both a rx and tx antenna?

msev,
    if the results are repeatable and the design is non-crytical I see no reason why I wouldn't put up a small tutorial for it...

I don't think this will replace the SPW/pinwheel for all around flying, unless it really comes in at only 2-3 dbi, than it might as well replace it....
    www.fpvlr.com - Home of your favourite Custom FPV antennas.

Quote Originally Posted by Wearyman View Post
    I have to say that although I don't understand 90% of what you guys are saying, I'm still really excited about the potential for an awesome new antenna product, particularly one that promises to turn crappy cheap rubber duck antennas into awesome and powerful CP antennas!

I wonder how having some kind of plastic cover over the antenna elements (to protect against damage) would affect the signal and geometry of this thing?
    Wearyman :
    Anything you put over it will affect velocity factor so , to put it into easy terms, it's as if all the elements were cut bigger than they actually are....
    To make it work they have to be reduced in size... each one of them by a certain percentage..

Quote Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
    Now I see how it works! It's like a yagi. Dipole in the middle with parasitic elements to direct the signal. I didn't realize that it could actually rotate it. You learn something new every day.

One thing that might cause an issue is the dielectric right in the middle of the radiation pattern. If you can move the support up or down, it might help. Or here's another suggestion: Use two supports with the elements in between them. This will give it more support and help clear the center of the radiation pattern where reactivity is critical. If you play your cards right, you can make this a commercial product... and I'll be your first customer

Here's and idea for you: Make a cap for the cheap dipoles that come with most systems that all you need to do is insert the elements.

Needless to say I am very excited for you, Kondor. Very excited!

-Alex

Now, that's a very good idea, 2 supports!

Here's and idea for you: Make a cap for the cheap dipoles that come with most systems that all you need to do is insert the elements.
    This is a really good idea, especially if you modelling guys find a way to squeeze some decent gain out of the design. If it's good enough for satellite reception, it's good enough for me!

Cool stuff!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kondor-FPV View Post
    Wearyman :
    Anything you put over it will affect velocity factor so , to put it into easy terms, it's as if all the elements were cut bigger than they actually are....
    To make it work they have to be reduced in size... each one of them by a certain percentage..

Wouldn't that be a good thing though? I mean, within a certain scale, being able to make the elements smaller/more compact AND protect them from damage without affecting the overall range of the antenna is generally considered a plus, yes?

Quote Originally Posted by bgarber View Post
    This is a really good idea, especially if you modelling guys find a way to squeeze some decent gain out of the design. If it's good enough for satellite reception, it's good enough for me!

Cool stuff!!!!!
    Actually that was the original idea behind it all, to be able to turn whips into cp omnis of high gain.

The problem I see with that is that the stock vertical dipoles aren't consistent, you really don't know where the middle of it is, so it's a hit and miss, not good for customer confidence. I really believe the antenna has to be tuned.
    If you start with a bad antenna to begin with, you aren't going to make it better by making it CP...
    Often with 900mhz -1.2ghz systems I see whips that are tuned way off, or even shorted.... and people just screw them on and go flying...

I have found a 1500mhz one for 1200 and a 1160 one for 900....
    Not the best thing if people don't know what they are starting with.

I believe the antenna has to be sent out with a KNOWN good swr, and positioning of the elements, otherwise you'll have lots of enemies very fast!
    The problem of the stock antennas becomes your problem! No thanks!

to wearyman: Absolutely, of course you can't overdo it otherwise efficiency gets lower, but it's possible to reduce 5-10% the size of the antenna with a plastic radome, and most of all protect it.

If this works as I hope, there are possibilities to make a commercial product with it, and I am thinking even with vertical parasitic elements to increase gain of the wi-fi products that use linear polarization.

All I'd have to do is put a patent in for the CP "converter" or something like that...

People want to increase gain of their router, they put these over the stock whips and they are set.

FOR FPV people know what you are selling them and I don't want to get a bad rap if people start with a off-tune whip, all at once it's your circulator cap that sux not the antenna itself, so I guess I could offer a complete antenna with the circulator professionally installed and the antenna tuned, and also I could offer the circulator element by itself with a disclaimer...

But we are thinking too far ahead, there is some optimization to be done.

Engineer for Jesus Christ IBCrazy's Avatar
    @kondor - I think you should look at my home Wifi system. I feed the neighbor's too

The problem is I believe routers are part 15, so modification of them would be illegal and there are already USB wifi cards with an SMA jack in them that cost ~$12. On the other hand for FPV, you do have a great product if you can get it refined. I am happy to help you. Besides, I think you live 3 hours from me.

-Alex
    If it is broken, fix it. if it isn't broken, I'll soon fix that.

videoaerialsystems.com - Performance video piloting

The problem is I believe routers are part 15, so modification of them would be illegal
    Really? Oh, oops......
    "You can't take the sky from me"

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast