FPVLAB

Page 3 of 123 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: ZII: Project Hello Kitty

Co-Pilot
    Wow Ian this is looking excellent so far. Can't wait to see the end result!

i dont wanna be an armchair engineer here ian, i know you have the experience and knowledge to make this thing work and work well

having said that i am a little worried about the fuel tanks what is the wing being covered in? FG and epoxy? if you are expecting ANY flex, i think the tanks might break the weld at the join on the pipe between tanks.

feel free to ignore these kinds of remarks, i have never built anything remotely close to this. just thinking out loud

Cor blimey, guv'nor!
    Quote Originally Posted by londonguy View Post
    Wow Ian this is looking excellent so far. Can't wait to see the end result!
    Thanks londonguy. All advice gratefully received!

Cor blimey, guv'nor!
    Quote Originally Posted by brosius85 View Post
    i dont wanna be an armchair engineer here ian, i know you have the experience and knowledge to make this thing work and work well

having said that i am a little worried about the fuel tanks what is the wing being covered in? FG and epoxy? if you are expecting ANY flex, i think the tanks might break the weld at the join on the pipe between tanks.
    All excellent concerns! Other than extra carbon reinforcements, at this stage I don't (yet) intend to do any special covering, other than laminate and then vinyl. Although it'll have a very pokey power-plant, I will always need to be mindful of the limitations of the frame when flying it. No very high-G manoeuvres.

The tanks however are extremely strong, far more so than may be apparent. Were you to grab both tanks and use them to bend the 10mm joining tube in the middle, the tube would bend and ultimately the tin-plated steel would tare, but the joins would hold. I've actually tried this in frustration when trying to dismantle some of my earlier sample tanks. In the end I gave up and made some new ones.

A funny storey. With one of my sample tanks, I tried to remove the brass tube. Well, the soldering iron turned up to max wasn't helping, so I reached for the blow touch. HOWEVER, there was still a tiny bit of jet fuel left in the tank (and more crucially, vapour) from my test to ensure they were fuel tight. Well, after a couple of seconds the blow touch ignited the vapour and there was an massive bang and the tank shot across the workshop. The explosion *in* the sealed tank caused the top and bottom to balloon into a dome, yet they still all held together!

Quote Originally Posted by brosius85 View Post
    feel free to ignore these kinds of remarks, i have never built anything remotely close to this. just thinking out loud
    Please continue to think out aloud! There WILL be stuff I've missed.
    Last edited by Ian Davidson; 23rd July 2012 at 07:28 AM.

Cor blimey, guv'nor!
    Below is a pretty accurate estimation of where her weight will end up. Please note that 640g of this is fuel, so she'll get faster and faster during the flight.

Please continue to think out aloud! There WILL be stuff I've missed.
    Not sure how you vent/pressurize the tank but since you supply the turbine just from one chamber isn't there a possibility that while banking the fuel will flow from one chamber to the other when the whole tank empties?
    I mean in a way that the chamber with the supply hose will be drained and the turbine sucks air in the fuel system which may lead to a flame out or RPM oscillation. Have experience that on full scale turbines already.
    Last edited by Mictronics; 23rd July 2012 at 07:53 AM.

Cor blimey, guv'nor!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mictronics View Post
    Not sure how you vent/pressurize the tank but since you supply the turbine just from one chamber isn't there a possibility that while banking the fuel will flow from one chamber to the other when the whole tank empties?
    I mean in a way that the chamber with the supply hose will be drained and the turbine sucks air in the fuel system which may lead to a flame out or RPM oscillation. Have experience that on full scale turbines already.
    Both tanks will have vents, as otherwise the fuel won't drain evenly. Although what you say could definitely happen, I feel it would take a knife-edge flight for several seconds (around 5-10 sec) to truly empty one tank into the other. I don't even think this type of flying is even possible with the ZII. When it comes to aerobatics, it will be fast rolls and loops only.

Also, turbines seem to cope with the odd air bubble in the fuel line remarkably well. Starve them of fuel and they flame-out quickly, but with the odd air bubble they just sputter.

In one of my tests, I run the tank dry to the point where the top 2/3 of the metal clung you can see in one of the above photos was out of the fuel and exposed to air. The turbine was sputtering badly, but still running - albeit just.

Oh yes, I will be wiring the EzOSD current sensor inline with the fuel pump. This will alert me should the turbine flame-out, as the ECU will cut the fuel pump.

No Artificial Sweeteners. kev.au's Avatar
    Cool project, I'll be following along mate!.
    Håvard Støre : Sir I humbly bow down to your balsa bashing abilities!!.
    chicken sashimi : my T-Shirts are all 100% guaranteed to get you laid.
    Roberto : you're a legend Kev.
    ssassen : I bow humbly before kev.au's greatness.
    Danub : Sir I humbly bow down to your tree bashing abilities!!.
    MonZon : Damn, Kev you are gooooood!.
    R. Montiel : For sure the limiting factor is the earth curvature

To help with slosh, fuel cell foam may be useful, as used in race car fuel tanks.
    May be difficult not to melt it when soldering up the tank though.
    KJ6BFN

Well, you could add a mesh grid into the tank to stop slosh. Some of that decorative aluminum sheeting that is sold at your local hardware store, cut into strips and then worked into a grid shape that is soldered into the tank. it will slow down the fuel movement but still allow for free flow of fuel through the tank. Something like this:

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...&storeId=10051

or this:

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...&storeId=10051

Page 3 of 123 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast