Thread: Vtx heatsink or no heatsink on zii wing?

Forum Member

Vtx heatsink or no heatsink on zii wing?

I've got a 400mW vtx I'm installing out on the wing of my Zii. It came with a full wraparound heatsink but I'm wondering if it's better to remove the heatsink and just vent the vtx from the top of the wing?

Thanks,

CD

Forum Member
    In the 2-3 minutes sitting in the sun waiting on satellite lock my VTX got so hot I could barely touch it...

I'm thinking you'd have issues if you took that off.
    "Truly superior pilots are those who use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills"- Author unknown

KF7TRX

Forum Member
    If the vtx feels like it gets warm pretty fast like Scotttu said, a heatsink may be desired. You dont need the full wraparound one though; get a to220 heatsink from radioshack and jb weld it to the case. Just make sure the vanes of the heatsink are in the proper direction for air to flow through it.
    Far better is it to dare mighty things, even though checkered by failure; than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

Forum Member
    Yeah, a lot depends on the transmitter used too. Some get hotter than others.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aeryck View Post
    If the vtx feels like it gets warm pretty fast like Scotttu said, a heatsink may be desired. You dont need the full wraparound one though; get a to220 heatsink from radioshack and jb weld it to the case. Just make sure the vanes of the heatsink are in the proper direction for air to flow through it.
    Good idea on the heatsink from Radio Shack. I have a heatsink on my 300mW which is on my quad and it stays fairly cool. I have heard of the 800mW vtx getting hot but not much news on the 400's. I'm betting with the airflow from the wing it will be fine so I'm going to actually install it on the bottom of the wing (per IBcrazy) with the bluebeam whip going through the wing (for better support). I'll try it without the OEM heatsink but think a veined heatsink attached to one side would work best.