FPVLAB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: my first mountain surf

Navigator

my first mountain surf

Hi,

here's a short video from my first longer mountain surf.
    Sorry for shaky footage but it was windy.

vimeo.com/kamuffel/videos

Nice! I like how you almost hit the dead, hard to see tree at 2:40. I need to do some mountain surfing myself.

Quote Originally Posted by KC10Chief View Post
    Nice! I like how you almost hit the dead, hard to see tree at 2:40. I need to do some mountain surfing myself.
    I'm not sure if it's possible but those mountains at the end of the runway on Elmendorf - I surfed those in a C130 a cou ple of times! Would be awesome to see that range!!
    "Truly superior pilots are those who use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills"- Author unknown

KF7TRX

Quote Originally Posted by Scotttu View Post
    I'm not sure if it's possible but those mountains at the end of the runway on Elmendorf - I surfed those in a C130 a cou ple of times! Would be awesome to see that range!!
    Well, here's a cheesy video I made a couple of winters ago while flying full scale around the area. The plane is a Cessna 182. I took off from Elmendorf and flew around the Chugach range which is the range you speak of. I want to go up Arctic valley and do some FPV up there but the weather has been bad for a week now. I do plan to do some good FPV flights this summer though.

kamuffel - Nice job! Trappy makes it look easy...gorgeous scenery there too!

KC10 - Yep been there! I was stationed at Wainwright (Fairbanks) but did BNOC there, a few missions we bounced through elmendorf before heading out to the islands...5/9th inf, 6th ID ArcticLight.
    My inlaws just moved back to Anchorage from Fairbanks - they love watching the RC stuff and definitely want to see the FPV stuff so I promised them I'd be up in the next year....HOPEFULLY...
    Last edited by Scotttu; 25th June 2012 at 07:42 PM.
    "Truly superior pilots are those who use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills"- Author unknown

KF7TRX

KC10 - Yep been there! I was stationed at Wainwright (Fairbanks) but did BNOC there, a few missions we bounced through elmendorf before heading out to the islands...5/9th inf, 6th ID ArcticLight.
    My inlaws just moved back to Anchorage from Fairbanks - they love watching the RC stuff and definitely want to see the FPV stuff so I promised them I'd be up in the next year....HOPEFULLY...
    I love it here. Most of the time. Sometimes, the weather can really get you down. Last week was beautiful. Mid 70s and sunny. Today, it's about 55 degrees and rainy. Still, it's an incredible place and there's tons to do. I fly on the E-3. We don't get too close to the mountains or get to have any fun though. HA! Here's an FPV video I made at one of the local parks here on base.

Sorry I hijacked your thread kamuffel! I love the mountain surfing videos.

Well, here's a cheesy video I made a couple of winters ago while flying full scale around the area. The plane is a Cessna 182. I took off from Elmendorf and flew around the Chugach range which is the range you speak of. I want to go up Arctic valley and do some FPV up there but the weather has been bad for a week now. I do plan to do some good FPV flights this summer though.

Dejavu all over again. Reminded me of when my dad would fly the family out of Fairbanks in the Cessna 180 to visit all the local out of the way airstrips. Was living in North Pole at the time - 76' to 78'... He still has the plane, lives in Idaho.
    KF7TSE

youtube.com/channel/UCzoOpmJK8_WOlBl65sZAfGw
    vimeo.com/airtruksrus/videos

Airtruksrus Cockpit Ground Station Systems.
    Open for business
    Always under revision to make it better.

Navigator
    Sorry I hijacked your thread kamuffel! I love the mountain surfing videos.
    no prob! Mountains and FPV is a really nice combo and for all...

Navigator
    kamuffel - Nice job! Trappy makes it look easy...gorgeous scenery there too!
    thanks Scotttu!
    I need more experience... my first flight with an RC-Plane (without FPV) was around 300 days ago

Zephyr II maiden flight four month ago:

Hehe, I made my first two mountain surfing proximity runs a couple weeks ago. It's a lot harder than it looks! It was pretty windy along the mountain side causing my plane to shake quite a bit. And on the first run I think I exceeded the maximum speed of my airframe and the whole plane started vibrating for about a second. I think next time I need to start the run a lot lower and further behind the ridge, then cut the throttle more and dive steeper to actually follow the contour of the slope. Still, these turned out pretty good for my first attempts. The second run also went a lot better than the first.

~Patrick M.

YouTube Channel: youtube.com/user/SerithianFPV

Colorado FPV Pilot and Flying Site Map: mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=zjYlxx5w300I.kmgDGKOhrMAo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast