FPVLAB

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lipo break-in: The how, why, and benefits of a DIY discharger

Quote Originally Posted by volto View Post
    Thanks for posting this PnoT, but with qbert, I would like to see quantified evidence that this actually helps with new batteries before going through all that effort and extra expense.

I do like to break in my motors, and usually use a battery to do that, and let it go all the way to LVC (set LVC to "high" on ESC), so in a way I have already broken in most my lipo batteries, since I just use whatever charged battery I see first. I have logged power vs thrust doing motor break-ins and found that it does help significantly. Of course breaking them in during flight is also an option.
    Hiya Volto

Out of interest, whats to break in, on brushless motors?
    They should be the same new as they will be after 10 flights.... No brushes, nothing to wear out, or wear in... I'm curious now.... lol

IMHO, it would be interesting to have as test with 2 "identical batteries" and try this break in method on one, and use the other battery without break in, use both batteries in parallel and see which one fails first, repeat this testing ten more times. This way could give us a good idea on how break in of batteries really makes a difference.
    ONE WITH THE MACHINE --> https://www.youtube.com/FPVFLYER

Maybe I haven't read enough credible documentation about lipo break-in but regarding batteries there exists so many false methods. The mythical nicd memory effect comes to mind. Something that many still think is true although it can't be replicated or proven even in laboratory conditions.

I'm so lucky to have battery experts as colleagues and this is something I'll talk to them with. It's interesting since I've never actually heard about lipo break in before.
    Last edited by boopidoo; 4th March 2012 at 05:32 AM.

Guyz,

In case you don't like being dazzled by loads of halogen bulbs, I thought you might be interested in a discharging setup I put together a while ago, based on diesel engine glow plugs....

These little gems glow red in a matter of seconds and you should be able to get hold of them free-of-charge from your local garage as they are service items.

Cheerz!

Rootz

could quit if I wanted to volto's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rad Rich View Post
    Hiya Volto

Out of interest, whats to break in, on brushless motors?
    They should be the same new as they will be after 10 flights.... No brushes, nothing to wear out, or wear in... I'm curious now.... lol
    Hey, sorry I didn't see this post until now. The bearings are the part that breaks in.
    Don't steal, the government hates competition.

Navigator
    Great info, thanks

A noob question:
    During break-in, can we discharge our batteries with a charger?
    Alex

Navigator
    As long as you can set your charger to only go so far, and or have some way of following how much power is being used and how much is left most any thing can be used. But I doubt you will get a chager to discharge the battery at 5C unless it's a real small capacity battery. Like was mentioned, doing a battery break-in has very limited advantages for the time and energy spent doing it.

A really easy way to do it is to fly you plane for 50% of what the plane would normaly fly for on that battery and then recharge and your good to go from there.

Robert

Co-Pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by volto View Post
    Hey, sorry I didn't see this post until now. The bearings are the part that breaks in.
    Bearings need to break in? this would be a new one for me.. I dealt with bearings for a lot of years in the turbo/automotive biz and all the talks we had with makers over bearings and bushings.. Also a lot of work with ceramic bearings and none that come to mind every had a "break in"

Where is this information at?

Thanks..
    Poke it with a fork.. done...

Navigator
    I'm sure he meant bushings.......

Rpbert

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast