FPVLAB

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lipo break-in: The how, why, and benefits of a DIY discharger

In the past, nicd and nimh cells were tested extensively, placing absolute values on IR, voltage at a specific discharge rate (typically 20 or 30 amps), and capacity (typically discharging to .9v) on each cell. The stickers placed on the cells with all this info indicated the testing variables such as discharge rate, charging methodology, cutoff voltage, etc. Unless someone straight up lied, you knew exactly what you were buying. I understand the energy levels we are working with here are an order of magnitude greater, but one would think the tech to test the cells would advance at the same pace. We have 1300 watt chargers and whatnot.
    It would would seem almost a given that manufacturers are testing the cells before bundling in a pack. And I would expect that they are also matching like cells together in a pack, like what was done with nicd/nimh. Performance and longevity of the cells was massively improved by matching them. Matching cells means beating on them to see how they perform. Unless tolerances have been completely removed from the manufacturing process? In any case, if they are matching cells, they have already broken the break in processes described in this thread.
    I pretty much fly stuff like I stole it. Been working pretty good for me so far
    Cheers!

Navigator
    Lol I'm a battery slayer...

Navigator
    I hope this new phone works
    My wife is always trying to get rid of me. today she told me to put the garbage out. I said to her I already did. She told me to go and keep an eye on it!

Navigator
    break-ins....reminds of the early days of electric RC.

Navigator
    interesting seems like a lot of work

Navigator
    Check out http://phantomangel.rocks

Its a purpose built discharger, built for DJI batteries but works equally well with standard 3, 4 and 6S LiPos. Just need to replace the DJI connector with XT60 or whatever you use.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LF Photo.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	16.7 KB 
ID:	73630

Quote Originally Posted by PnoT View Post
    Most of the major manufacturers of lipos have some type of recommendation for breaking in their lipos from the factory so that in itself should tell you something. I have found some vendors have it out there in the open while others have it buried in a 200 page manual!
    Any links to that?

My experience has been matching the cells by AH is the only way to ensure top notch performance and while testing the AH rating of the cells is similar to a breaking them in, it's only done twice before building the pack and placing it in service.

I discovered a long time back that most factory built batteries had a common problem related to mismatching cells by their capacity resulting in one or so cells to fail under full load.

Wayne
    Everybody loves a bunny.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123