FPVLAB

Thread: FUTABA 9Z FATSHARK GOGGLES

Banned

FUTABA 9Z FATSHARK GOGGLES

I have a futaba 9z , which has the old round trainer cord, I want to connect my Fatshark goggles with the head tracker, but I cant locate a cord or an adapter any ideas.

Forum Member
    I have an idea..... send me your goggles and I'll send you my slave screen and some cardboard. Voilla! no trainer cord to worry about!

Forum Member
    Futaba stopped making those trainer cords when they went to the 6 pin square connector, but I think some Hitec radios still use them - AFAIK the pinout should be the same.

I have an "unofficial service manual" for the 9Z that might have the trainer pinout listed in it. You can buy the connector yourself from places like Mouser or Digi-Key - it is called a 6-pin DIN (*NOT* Mini-DIN) plug. You'll have to solder your own wires to it but it'll work.

I also have a 9Z and Fatshark Dominators, with the head tracker module, but haven't gotten around to making the cable yet. Once I make a cable and get it working, I'll post up a how-to for you.
    Far better is it to dare mighty things, even though checkered by failure; than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

Forum Member
    Here's the wiring diagram - but now YOU have to show me the way to get this thing to work on the 9z! I've tried everything but I can't get the headtracker to work in the trainer function! Works fine with my Turnigy 9x
    The parts are available at any Radioshack or eBay
    Can someone please post if they got it to work on the 9z and what the settings were?

Last edited by jwems; 22nd June 2012 at 10:42 AM. Reason: additional info

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eggmeister View Post
    I have a futaba 9z , which has the old round trainer cord, I want to connect my Fatshark goggles with the head tracker, but I cant locate a cord or an adapter any ideas.
    Tower Hobbies TG2728
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...2728&search=Go

Forum Member
    Resurrecting this thread because I finally got off my lazy ass and made a working head tracking cable. The 9z DOES work with Dominator's headtracker, but you will need to make your own cable as there are no existing cables that use the 6-pin DIN plug.

You will need an S-Video cable, and a 6-pin DIN plug to create the cable.

Using Fatshark's pin diagram as a reference, the ground wire connects to the outer metal shield of the DIN plug, and the PPM wire connects to pin 3 of the 6-pin DIN connector (PPM Input). All others are left alone. I chose NOT to connect power through the headtracking cable, so both the radio and the goggles require their own batteries.

I have the trainer function assigned to switch 'F' on my radio - it is a 2-position toggle, not the spring loaded switch, so I can turn headtracking on and off with the flip of a switch and not have to hold anything.

I verified operation by turning on the radio and goggles, and going into the servo monitor screen (SRV) in the system menu (SYS). With the toggle activated, the monitor screen clearly shows the servos moving as you move the goggles around. I will hook up a spare rx to a couple servos and verify it works on the radio side as well.

the following image shows how the trainer function of the 9z is configured. This has head tracking on channels 5/6.

Edit 2: Tested w/ spare Rx and a couple servos. Servos move in relation to goggle movement. Confirmed working. test performed w/ Thomas scherrer LRS wired through module pins, and headset connected via trainer cord.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20130417_165943_312.jpg 
Views:	248 
Size:	243.2 KB 
ID:	24538  
    Last edited by aeryck; 18th April 2013 at 09:38 AM. Reason: added pics
    Far better is it to dare mighty things, even though checkered by failure; than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.