FPVLAB

Thread: A strange problem indeed ??!!!

Forum Member

A strange problem indeed ??!!!

Hi ...

I recently encountered a problem that was not present in the past, and I don't remember changing anything in the wiring other than trying to installing a servo stretcher for the pan servo ...

the problem is

When I power up everything for the 1st time I can see the OSD without the camera feed ... as if the camera was turned off .. only the OSD data with a black background ...

I've just recreated the problem now .. and tried to track if there is any weak point in the wiring from the camera to the OSD, or wiring powering the camera, and actually found none .. the video was very stable across the test process ..

I don't know what I did to recreate the issue and I also don't know what I did to make the video comes back again ...

Here are some specs to help you help me ... I really appreciate it

WDR600 FPV camera from hobby wireless

300mw 1280mhx VTX from Ready made RC

2.4 Ghz R/C Futaba Fasst stock form

one battery system with LC filter for clean power the the video gear

Clover leaf on VTX, and Skew planner wheel on Lawmate VRX

Plane is bixler running on 3S , and 8X4 prop ..

CC 10amp bec for the RX

Pan/Tilt
    Servos are all hitch HS-65HB...

EZ OSD,

FY 20A flight stabilizer ..

all wires are twisted

Ferrite rings are installed at the GPS antenna, VTX, and Camera.

it was working perfectly without issues providing rock solid video ..

Thanks a lot for looking .. I really appreciate it

Khaled

Forum Member
    Take the lens cap off.

Forum Member
    Hahaha ... yes I know it has the same effect ... but unfortunately it was already off... but speaking of the lens ... I encountered this issue after I replaced the stock 3.6 mm lens with the 6 mm lens.. that needs to be almost fully inserted ... I wonder if metal casing of the lens was touching anything inside causing that intermittent issue ...

I'm currently securing the connections to the EZ-OSD .. with hot glue .. because they can be wiggled by hand or when you move cables around ...

Thanks for the input ...

Khaled

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by khaled_abobakr View Post
    6 mm lens.. that needs to be almost fully inserted ...
    What do you mean here?

I've found that the best procedure to changing a lens is to power the camera and then screw in the new lens until it focuses sharply. Screw it in too far and problems arise...
    [QUOTE]"You can't take the sky from me"[/QUOTE]

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying Monkey View Post
    What do you mean here?

I've found that the best procedure to changing a lens is to power the camera and then screw in the new lens until it focuses sharply. Screw it in too far and problems arise...
    Hi

I do exactly as you described to get the correct focus .. but I noticed that the 6 mm lens has to be almost fully inserted to get the that right focus unlike the stock 3.6 mm lens that came with the WDR600 .... so it is just a possibility ... but I suppose it is not the cause .. I flew today with no issues at all .. after rechecking all wiring and adding some hot glue to the EZ OSD connectors ...

Khaled

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by khaled_abobakr View Post
    Hi

I do exactly as you described to get the correct focus .. but I noticed that the 6 mm lens has to be almost fully inserted to get the that right focus unlike the stock 3.6 mm lens that came with the WDR600 .... so it is just a possibility ... but I suppose it is not the cause .. I flew today with no issues at all .. after rechecking all wiring and adding some hot glue to the EZ OSD connectors ...

Khaled
    Oh okay... so problem solved?

Forum Member
    yes ... at least for now .. I'll fly more and see if it will ever come back ... I hope not

Khaled

Navigator

Something to watch-out for with the small FPV CCD cams

With the little 540, 600, 700 ect FPV CCD cameras like the re-brands from RMRC, H. Wireless ect:
    In case you're not already aware, be extremely careful when using mounting screws that are ANY LONGER than the screws that came with the camera. I'm referring to the 2 very small screws that attach the camera to the stock bracket and act as a pivot point.
    Using screws that are too long will permanently destroy the camera unless you are very good at pcb soldering.
    if the screws are even just a couple millimeters longer, they will contact the PCB Inside and short/damage the board or its components. If you want to modify the mounting points first remove the rear panel of the camera ( attached by 2 screws) once the rear panel of the camera is removed the PCB With all its components including the CCD Will fall right out ( so be careful as you do not want to drop it) once it's out you've got safe access to the 2 side mounting holes.

Forum Member
    +1 for nylon nuts and bolts... no shorts.