FPVLAB

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: FPV Safety Guidelines

FPV Safety Guidelines

Gents,

Let's define some flying guidelines.

Here are the ground rules:
    • Please throw out what it should be NOT how it shouldn't be.
    • Let's keep discussions limited to the guidelines.
    • I'll update/edit the swag bellow as we go.
    • I'd like to keep them as simple as possible. Let's not "lawyer it up."
    • Please keep in mind that there are other NAS stakeholders who must understand our guidelines as well.
    • Keep in mind, guidelines serve more than just dictate how you fly. Just as important, they communicate to everyone else how you fly. They make it easier for everyone to understand us.

As a current, IFR rated pilot and avid FPV hobbyist, I'll do my best to moderate the discussion from "both sides of the aisle".
    Looking forward to everyone's positive contribution.

Thanks.

Here's a quick draft from another thread:

Definitions:

First Person View (FPV) piloting- remotely controlling a model aircraft through live video from an onboard video camera sent via wireless video transmitter received by a wireless video receiver and displayed on devices such as a video monitor and/or video “goggles”.
    Amateur- Non-commercial hobbyists and amateur model aircraft users operating for sport and recreation. (Commercial operations are not covered under these guidelines.)
    Pilot- Person controlling the aircraft, responsible for maintaining situational awareness of the airspace around the model aircraft with the goal of maintaining traffic avoidance and general safe operations
    Safety Observer- Person assisting the pilot in maintaining situational awareness of the airspace around the model aircraft with the goal of maintaining traffic avoidance and general safe operations

FPV Piloting Safety Guidelines:

1. Always give way to Full Scale Aircraft.
    2. If flying in an AMA field, the AMA rules (amended to relax the buddy box rule) should apply.
    3. If flying outside of an AMA field, the following rules apply:
    a. Continuously clear your operating airspace. Use a safety observer to clear your airspace and provide warning as required.
    b. Fly the model aircraft within the cleared airspace.
    c. Be familiar with your airspace. Avoid operations close to full scale aircraft (airports, controlled airspace, restricted areas, warning areas, military training routes, etc.) unless you have permission from the appropriate authorities (ATC, tower, airport manager, etc.).
    4. Color and/or light your aircraft for maximum visibility
    5. Check and abide by laws/regulations/ordinances regarding the your operations
    6. Hold the required licenses for the radio equipment used
    7. Do not operate in such a manner that impact of the FPV aircraft, or part thereof including its payload, with the surface creates a hazard to persons or property not associated with the operation
    You are responsible for anyone/anything you hurt or damage.

Notes:
    - At the moment there are no laws specifically addressing FPV per se. For now the the only federal guidance is contained in FAA AC 91-57 http://www.faa.gov/regulations_polic...cumentID/22425
    - Best to know your airspace. www.skyvector.com
    Last edited by scrtsqrl; 18th September 2012 at 12:55 AM.
    Below average guy doing average work

Sounds like good common sense, That being said I think it's a good idea to have some reasonable but strict guidlines. I would be very sad if someone accidently got hurt and laws were created severely limiting FPV flight. Big thumbs up to the above list!
    Tranfixus Sed Non Mortus - Wounded but not dead!

Quote Originally Posted by Transfixus View Post
    Sounds like good common sense, That being said I think it's a good idea to have some reasonable but strict guidlines. I would be very sad if someone accidently got hurt and laws were created severely limiting FPV flight. Big thumbs up to the above list!
    Thanks.

FWIW, consider how simply and liberally the FAA defines rules for high powered rocketry and high altitude free flight balloons:
    http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text...1.3.15&idno=14

In FS aviation, in general:
    • What is not specifically forbidden is permitted.
    • No set of rules "covers every situation or is a substitue for sound judgement."

Make up a PMCS chart for fpv equipment.
    Instrument flying is an unnatural act probably punishable by God. Gordon Baxter

With all these rules I'm somewhat surprised I haven't seen mention of flying while intoxicated?

Also, I see a lot having to do with safety regarding full scale aircraft but never a mention about flying over crowds of people or highways.

It's late, I'll think of more tomorrow. :S
    KF7TRU, youtube.com/user/wildwill1970/videos, Skywalker 1680mm, RMRC 400mW 1280mhz vTx, Dragonlink V1, MFD ATT, Crosshair GSA 1280mhz

What is a PMCS chart?

KF7TRU, youtube.com/user/wildwill1970/videos, Skywalker 1680mm, RMRC 400mW 1280mhz vTx, Dragonlink V1, MFD ATT, Crosshair GSA 1280mhz

Quote Originally Posted by WildWill View Post
    With all these rules I'm somewhat surprised I haven't seen mention of flying while intoxicated?

Also, I see a lot having to do with safety regarding full scale aircraft but never a mention about flying over crowds of people or highways.

It's late, I'll think of more tomorrow. :S
    Here's what the FAA says about high altitude balloons:

No person shall operate an unmanned free balloon...

...(e) In such a manner that impact of the balloon, or part thereof including its payload, with the surface creates a hazard to persons or property not associated with the operation."

Thanks.

I think that might be too much into the weeds...They fall more in the realm of "procedures" which we use to adhere to the "guidelines". Again, check out how the FAA handles balloons and rockets.

That said, here are my checklists, used since 2006, which include inspections.
    Last edited by scrtsqrl; 12th June 2012 at 08:54 AM.

Yawn, **** guidelines and rules lol. If you can't have common sense you shouldn't be flying fpv.
    ONE WITH THE MACHINE --> https://www.youtube.com/FPVFLYER

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast