Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: DJI Naza GPS

DJI Naza GPS

I thought I would start a thread dedicated to the Naza GPS Flight Controller. I hope to create a single point for comprehensive troubleshooting of the unit. I have been flying with Naza on my quad for about a month. Last night I installed the GPS device for it. Today I took it out to the field for a test. Over the next day or two I will add photos of the unit, both in the package and installed. I will also post videos as I get the unit trimmed on the Quad.

*** Test Video of Successful PH and RTH ***

In the meantime, my immediate results are as follows:

Return To Home - This was a fail I set the quad on the ground and plugged in the battery. I let the GPS and flight controller initialize. Once the GPS has acquired a sufficient number of satellites (about 30 seconds tops) I take off. Note that the moment you advance your throttle the Home position is set. I flew the quad out over a grass/dirt lot at an altitude of about 15' AGL (fifteen feet above ground level). Now for the moment of truth. I switch off my transmitter hoping to see the quad climb to an altitude of 20 meters above loss of signal. It should have then returned to my location and after about 15 seconds of hovering, descended at my feet. Instead the props lost power and it dropped like a rock

This turned out to be user error. I do not have the fail-safe setup properly with the Naza controller. I have temporarily put the fail-safe position on a TX switch. No longer at the field, I went out to the front yard to give it a try. RTH (Return to Home) IS WORKING but I did not have enough room to let it do its thing so I will have to provide a full report later.

********** Subject: Return to Home **********

1. I would like Return to Home to engage when the quad loses signal from my transmitter. I am currently using a JR 9503 transmitter with an 8 channel Xpektrum DSMX receiver (model to be added later). JR has two types of failsafe. Smartsafe holds all sticks and switches in the last transmitted position accept the throttle which moes to a preset. This is useless for Return to Home since activating it should be switch controlled rather than throttle controlled. The second type of fail-safe from JR is called Preset Fail-Safe. This option reverts all controls including switches to a preset condition that the user defines when the TX is bound with the RX. Note that the Preset Fail-Safe is not available on all JR/Spektrum receivers. As luck would have it is not on the 8 channel unit that I am currently using making it useless for return to home.

Overall so far I am extremely happy with the unit. Like the Naza Controller itself, the GPS unit just works right out of the box (discounting user error). More to come...

********** Subject: Position Hold *************

Objective: The quad-copter should maintain its position (both GPS coordinates and AGL when the sticks are released.

Problem: When the sticks are released the quad enters a slowly descending counter-clockwise circle. The speed of the circle increases over time as does its diameter. Initial diameter is ~10 feet. At a diameter of 20 the pilot resumes control to prevent crash.

Suspected Cause 1: I am flying a HK Talon V1 Frame. The round booms swivel in their mount which means that the motors are hard to keep true and vertical. A tilted motor could be initiating drift. I am not observing problems with the quad's yaw so this may prove not to be the problem.

Suspected Cause 2: I need to re-calibrate the ESC's. I notice that when the quad is idling they are spinning at different speeds.

Suspected Cause 3: The MC position in the setup assistant might need to be tweaked. I left it with default axis values. 6/15/2012 - I started playing with the GPS offset compensation setting in the Naza assistant software. An addition of 5 cm from default on the x and y coordinate made no discernible difference in the way the unit flew. I will exaggerate these numbers and report back.

Final Solution: I found a solution here (Thank you 139 jockey!) In short, the GPS Unit heading position should be rotated ~35 clockwise from the heading position of the Naza FC. This will stop the "Toilet Bowl" effect. This solution was posted in relation to the TB effect showing up after a firmware upgrade to the WKM. Apparently the NAZA inherited it. In anycase I just made a rough adjustment and immediately the toilet bowl effect vanished. It needs a bit of fine tuning as the quad now very slowly slides around a two foot box while maintaining altitude. I am going to consider this a fix.

I am about to mount the system onto a Hex frame and will initially run the NAZA and GPS headings in the same direction to try to repeat the problem on a different platform. I anticipate that this will eventually be fixed with a firmware update.

- BacklashRC
    Last edited by BacklashRC; 17th June 2012 at 12:37 PM.

Dave mentioned he met ya up there - Was up there yesterday but those two biplanes came in...
    "Truly superior pilots are those who use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills"- Author unknown

KF7TRX

I think I have met Dave before. Dan and a guy from Bainbridge was there (I did not catch his name.). They seemed pretty interested in the quad. It is too bad I did not have RTH set up properly. It is pretty cool to see.

Backlash,

Hey, thanks for this thread. I just got my first RC anything about a month ago. A witespy quad with the Naza. When I heard of the upgrade & it's features it sounded really cool. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts. I haven't got my video setup yet, just flying LOS, but now I'm wondering if I should get this first? Decisions...decisions...

KellyR, I am not sure which one I would get first. FPV is incredible but I like knowing that my quad will fly itself home with all of that expensive equipment should the need arise.

Quote Originally Posted by KellyR View Post
    Backlash,

Hey, thanks for this thread. I just got my first RC anything about a month ago. A witespy quad with the Naza. When I heard of the upgrade & it's features it sounded really cool. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts. I haven't got my video setup yet, just flying LOS, but now I'm wondering if I should get this first? Decisions...decisions...
    Get the fpv gear man!
    "You can't take the sky from me"

Subscribed.

I just got my Naza (sans GPS) in the mail, along with Flamewheel 450 frame (very nice frame) and have just wired it up and now need to do initial setup. GPS and Gator camera mount/gimbal are next on the list, likely the camera gimbal first. Oh, will be FPV'ing this too, before camera gimbal or GPS. I have an SC2000 600 tvl cam and 5.8 gear to go on it, just have to figure out how to get the SC2000 wired up now.

The GPS option is a big attraction to me, more for position hold while doing AP/AV than RTH, but the RTH would be very valuable I can see. Looking forward to your findings with it.

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Monkey View Post
    Get the fpv gear man!
    LOL Yeah, I'm leaning that way. It's looking like my wife & I might be moving. We put an offer on a house in Gresham & it was accepted. Right behind the back fence is a park too. I can picture myself in the back yard, reclined in a chair, flying in the park. I might have to save a while to get the goggles though. But, I have a LCD screen similar to yours that I can use in the mean time.

Quote Originally Posted by KellyR View Post
    LOL Yeah, I'm leaning that way. It's looking like my wife & I might be moving. We put an offer on a house in Gresham & it was accepted. Right behind the back fence is a park too. I can picture myself in the back yard, reclined in a chair, flying in the park. I might have to save a while to get the goggles though. But, I have a LCD screen similar to yours that I can use in the mean time.
    I'm building myself a set of DIY goggles using a 3.5" lcd I got off Amazon (they have 'em on ebay, but I hate ebay!). $20 for the lcd, $2 for black coroplast, $3 for a wallet size magnifier, a little comfort foam and an elastic band and I'll be good to go. Only problem... they turn to blue screen when the video goes to crap... BUT since I don't fly very far and just get the occasional blip going behind a tree I think I'll be alright. I'll let you know how they turn out!
    "You can't take the sky from me"

Cool, sounds good! You got electronic skills. I'm sure I'll just buy them. If it's made out of wood I can build it, otherwise...I'm all thumbs. This is a kitchen I did.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kitchen.jpg 
Views:	511 
Size:	84.6 KB 
ID:	11494

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast