Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Oculus Rift: HD goggles for $500?

Navigator
    I am looking forward to the IP video. Even with pre-recorded video, it would be awesome if you had 6+ cameras in all different directions, including up and down, and then use your virtual program to immerse in the 3D space. This way multiple people could look where they want without affecting each other. It would be a bizarre feeling seeing a video as your floor, ceiling and walls but awesome none the less. Feel like riding in a glass flying saucer!

Navigator
    Since the resolution of the goggles aren't really that great, I don't think it would be much of a problem to work with wide angle lenses. if in 3D you get closer to the screen, you need to start moving your head around to see the other pixels you're not yet seeing. In the application it should be possible to let the user adjust this screen/3D viewer distance for their own liking, so you either see more detail of the image and need to look around more or you see more image at the cost of being less immersive. It also of course depends on the exact angle of the lens you're using.

Regarding vision, do the following. Extend your arm and look at your thumbnail. That's about how large the foval area in your eye is, the area with the highest density of cones and rods to detect light. Everything around your thumbnail that you still see is peripheral vision.

The other thing that's possible is higher resolution video transmission so you're basically controlling a virtual window sliding over the actual image that's available. The 3D application then needs to limit what the user sees somehow. The idea here is to limit nausea by secretly moving the camera around onboard the aircraft when the viewer gets close to one of the screen boundaries. Of course, it's very tricky, because the application doesn't entirely know what the attitude of the pan/tilt installation actually is, so it has to do image matching when the camera moves around (similar to stabilisation). Without accurate angle measurements, the system becomes some sort of PID controlled system that tries to keep the virtual window in the centre of the actual centre of the received video.

For the ufo with a glass like ceiling similar problems arise. It would be too weird if you're appearing to be stable but the video appears to move around you, a bit like being in a bubble and floating around. Since the latency is a bit higher, stick inputs take a very small amount of time to receive.

All in all, that's why I think it's better to project it like a cinema, because it makes it explicit it's just a tv-like thing you're looking at.

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by radialmind View Post
    Regarding vision, do the following. Extend your arm and look at your thumbnail. That's about how large the foval area in your eye is, the area with the highest density of cones and rods to detect light. Everything around your thumbnail that you still see is peripheral vision.
    Never even noticed until you told me that. Now it feels strange looking at the screen and being aware that I can only clearly see the size of a thumb!

What next will they make, head tracking AND eye tracking? I agree with you now. The cinema way would be the least nauseating. I can't even play the really good games because even the latency makes me feel ill.

Facebook bought Oculus Rift

Parrot quadcopter with Oculus Rift interface
    http://www.engadget.com/2014/05/11/parrot-bebop/

Just saw this on Gizmodo. I like the look of the controller - always thought our typical controllers are designed very poorly.

Interesting to see how they are hooking it up with the Occulus - is this implying I wonder that Parrot are going to be providing HD video from their machine?

Navigator
    $350 + iPhone + rift???wow!

So a friend of mine just got a rift and I got to have a go...Being chronically hung over didnt really help and I got quiet severe motion sickness really quickly after he showed me a few of the demo programs but overall pretty cool...
    The thing that I really wanted to see though was FPV so we found a video of a blackbird cam being tested and had a look see.. The resolution of our cameras lets it down a lot and then being 3d killed it completely.. it looked like they were flying over a cardboard town lol the aweful resolution really shows
    So I got lucky there.. no need to buy more gadgets yey..its not really usable for fpv

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789