Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Oculus Rift: HD goggles for $500?

Navigator

Oculus Rift: HD goggles for $500?

Something to keep an eye on:

http://oculusvr.com/?page_id=2

The RIFT is a wide field of view, highly immersive stereoscopic head mounted display at a price I can afford. After a quick glance at my bank account, I am sure that if I can afford it, you can too!
    More to come (Writing all of this up on the tail end of an exhausting trip to Boston so I can have it up before E3) but in a nutshell:
    -Launching on Kickstarter in June
    -Horizontal FOV of ~90 degrees, vertical FOV of ~110 degrees, more than 5x the total image size than the HMZ-T1
    -Input resolution of 1280800, split between two eyes; Not as good as us gaming geeks want, sure, but that is more detail than you get by feeding an HMZ-T1 a SBS 3D image
    - Light weight. Sub-1lb/0.5kg, current prototypes weigh in at about 0.6lbs/0.27kg.
    -Variable Acuity Resolution (VAR) puts more pixels in the center of the image, and fewer in the periphery, mimicking the natural characteristics of the eye.
    -Low latency, minimal processing delay for maximum head tracking realism
    -VGA, DVI, and HDMI input for maximum compatibility
    -Can be driven over an optional wireless video link with sub-1ms latency
    -Open-source schematics allow anyone to freely modify, build on, and improve the design
    -Sold as an all parts inclusive kit, assemble yourself!
    -Price point of $500, as cheaply as it can possibly be while still providing a quality product

Gotta put it together yourself, not bad.
    I got my eyes on these bad boys.
    ONE WITH THE MACHINE --> https://www.youtube.com/FPVFLYER

Now where did I put that FullHD video transmitter/receiver, it must be in a box somewhere?
    Purveyor of the FPV secret sauce at ImmersionRC

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by ssassen View Post
    Now where did I put that FullHD video transmitter/receiver, it must be in a box somewhere?
    Just use four cameras and four transmitters. 4 x 640x480 = 2560x1920 which is even higher definition than HD. It's like UHD.

And you call yourself an engineer...

Why didn't I think of that? That's .. uhm, genius!
    Purveyor of the FPV secret sauce at ImmersionRC

Navigator
    The specs look impressive and it's not just about the number of pixels. These goggles are designed for the immersive experience and for low-latency displays. Look up John Carmack (Id software!) who talks about these glasses too. If the image quality, experience or fov works out better, it's useful to consider these goggles even if you're running them at 1/4 of the total N pixels.

Since these do support VGA/DVI, if there is *no* passthrough unit involved in this implementation (HMZ-T1 does), it's just buying another $20-40 converter unit to go from composite to VGA/DVI.

Navigator
    There's one thing where this can go bellyup by the way. If the screen appears too large in front of your eyeballs and you still want to look through the entire screen, you may end up getting a lot of fatigue from moving your eyeballs around. Typically FPS players in video games rotate their view to be able to look at details, so peripheral vision is all they need. One would not typically move your plane all over the place to direct it at stuff to look at, so that requires moving your eyeballs to see more.

The fovea centralis is smaller than you think... Experiment: put your thumb nail at arms length in front of you and try to see things sharply around the nail too. The size of the fovea centralis is about as large as your thumbnail at arms length, so far smaller than the usual person would guess. Now put a many-inches screen at 2m in front and you get the idea about the eye saccades you have to perform in order to see everything on the image in clear detail.

So it would be interesting to see how this turns out for fpv purposes...

Navigator
    Due to the large amount of questions, I only received some answers to FPV-specific usage now:

-The developers kit needs to be fed a correctly warped image from a PC, so there is no way way to send it a composite signal. A capture card running to a laptop running a distortion and aspect correction application might work.
    ( edit: some issues here wrt drivers and latency! ).

-You are correct that OSD information is going to be hard to read without some kind of head tracking figured out.
    ( edit: also interesting to note thus that game OSD's would have similar issues... )

-Yes, it can be powered by a battery pack, as long as it is capable of 5v at 800ma or so.
    -It does not need a passthrough
    ( The HMZ-T1 uses a passthrough, so good to see it's just the unit and nothing else ).

- You can definitely look around the scene by moving your eyes, you just have low image fidelity in the extreme periphery.

Muahahaha..

note: received for non-fpv related development...

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by sl4ppy View Post
    Muahahaha..

note: received for non-fpv related development...
    That looks photochopped as ****.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast