FPVLAB

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CV-19 .... How Are You Coping?

Wow -- pretty kool to see some real OGs out here still kicking around. I think the youngsters largely think they invented this stuff. Ha ha
    "I Like Waffles" : FPVLab on Facebook and FPVLab on Twitter

Forum Member
    I’ve been in quarantine and working from home since early March. Haven’t flown much because the weather has just been bad with with high wind and rain. But that’s not too unusual for March and April around here. Things usually get better in May.
    [COLOR=#000000][FONT=proxnov-reg]There's no place I can't be / [/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000][FONT=proxnov-reg]Since I found FPV / [/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000][FONT=proxnov-reg]But you can't take the sky from me[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000][FONT=proxnov-reg]

[/FONT][/COLOR]

Forum Member

Building PCB Antennas at home

During this period, I had been making PCB antennas for my DJI Digital FPV. Here is my build video and an initial test of these light-weight antennas on the DJI goggles.

Forum Member
    Recreational activities that attract like-minded to gather and form social groups at public places, are probibited during lockdown. I had to test my 5.8ghz PCB antennas so I took the drone out for a quick FPV tour in the neighbourhood while on my way to do the essential (buying groceries). The test results speak for themselves.

Forum Member
    Get me a Crocodile sandwich. And make it snappy.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aaron_gx View Post
    1.2ghz FPV driving.. nice!!!

Forum Member

I built a beam-forming antenna array during lockdown

Heres my home brew working Beam-Forming antenna for FPV video (5.8ghz support only). 😄Unlike those antenna tracker which swivels around a patch or helical to point it at your FPV vehicle or aircraft, this one steers the beam of the antenna using phase shifter so the antenna is not moving but its beams direction is changing to where the transmission source is. It is kinda wicked although it doesnt seem to be doing anything but you could see the effects in the video reception for sure!

Forum Member

Cool

https://youtu.be/5O1nTcS0ZuI This is how Im coping CV19, with new Digital FPV
    Last edited by Sky Soldier; 8th June 2020 at 12:51 AM.

Forum Member

Back after 7 years hiatus

Well hello everybody. It seems I'm back, or at least trying/wanting to be. After retiring from US Army, I took a DAC job overseas and it's pretty much eliminated any free time. Now that there's light at the end of the tunnel, I have a room full of Aircraft that need some lovin to get back in the air. I've noticed some changes, some areas are private and I'm not able to access but other than that, glad to get back into the swing of things. Sentry, Raphael, Sanders, Dio, FPV Sam, Whakahere, Scottu, IBCrazy, are the ones I gleaned knowledge from and are probably considered "Old Timers" now Lol.

Forum Member

Smile

Welcome back to the hobby. Time flies, most of us here are old timers now, considering that we started FPV back in 2010. Wow, a decade had gone by! From RC Helis (Align/ Proton) to AP-drones (APM/ NAZA) to 250 race-drones (KK/ Multiwii) to Sub-200 drones (BaseFlight/ Cleanflight) to Cinewhoops/ Toothpick drones (betaFPV) today, we have come a long way to be able to enjoy FPV in digital HD (DJI Digital FPV). Today, I still have a fleet of RC choppers (QuickJapan, Align, Airwolf, Chinook) which are now hangar queens and there's really not much talk about them these days, I can't find a magazine featuring RC Helis at any magazine stand. Fixed wing magazines still exist though, in fact fixed wings have been consistently around us even when rc helis are being taken over by drones. For fixed wing lovers, FPV makes the hobby even better. Due to lockdown, I haven't been able to fly FPV outside for sometime. Now that the restriction is lifted, I have had the chance to test my DIY Beam-forming FPV antenna outside. I mounted it on my DJI goggles to get rid of the monitor screen that I had used for testing the antenna's beam steering function previously. It works but there's a lot of room for improvement. I had written the codes (Arduino) for the antenna array to start sweeping (activate beam-steering fr left to right continuously) only when the signal is noticeably weak (70% snow) and in theory, it would settle for the direction with the strongest signal. However, in the real world test (in the video below), when I flew the drone to the area behind a big tree on my right, the Arduino codes initiated a sweep immediately as the signal had fallen below the threshold value (of 70% snow). It did find the direction of the strongest signal and settled for that final beam direction. However, since the signal had been blocked by the tree, the received signal strength was still well below the threshold value and the codes initated a sweep again. This would repeat several times for as long as the drone was still behind the tree. Basically the sweeping would not stop until the received signal strength got above the threshold value. And during that time, whenever the beam was steered away from the direction of the drone in that continuous sweeping state, the FPV video reception suffered. Hence, FPV experience was actually worse than that of a 3-way diversity system in that scenario. On the other hand, if there are no trees blocking the drone's video signal, then the beam steering would work great as the antenna will automatically steer its beam to where the drone is.
    Last edited by RC-Concepts; 17th August 2020 at 04:02 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12