Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tiny OSD III shows only GPS SIGNAL WEAK

Navigator

Tiny OSD III shows only GPS SIGNAL WEAK

fficeffice" />>>
    I got the Tiny OSD III unit today. >>
    But unfortunately I think there is a technical problem with the unit. This is the steps in my trouble shooting:>>
    >>
    I Installed the OSD into the wing. Works fine but the text "GPS SIGNAL WEAK" flashes continiously. So I took it outisde for 30 minutes (below blue sky), still the same text "GPS SIGNAL WEAK". I suppose this means no satellites or?>>
    I tried to move the GPS receiver unit on the wing. But still the same text "GPS SIGNAL WEAK" after a lot of time outside ( it was summer blue sky here today). >>
    Took out the main board for Tiny OSD and connected GPS to 5v source (noise free voltage) and a monitor no other things involved (no video Tx of Rc Rx and so on). But still the same problem: “GPS SIGNAL WEAK”>>
    Updated firmware into OSD main board (reloaded the latest SW version) then I tied to switch to simple screen layout. But still no succsess. Same text on screen. I have tried to do reset many times but it only restarts. No improvements to find the satellites!!!
    I was really looking forward to start to fly with this Tiny OSD so I'm not very happy for the moment.>>

ANY IDEAS???
    PLEASE HELP ASAP!!

This happened to me when the connector came loose from the GPS, be warned though - those connectors are FRAGILE!!!

The GPS should be plugged onto the top plug on the OSD itself, not the bottom.

On the converting to simple mode - if you are on WIndows 7 click START, and in the search box type DEVICE MANAGER.

Once device manager comes up go to PORTS, COM/LPT - select the com port, go to properties (advanced tab, and then advanced button I believe)and switch it to COM1 or COM2 - whichever one is free.
    It is probably on COM7.

From a programmers point of view only Com1 through Com4 are used, typically, pre-XP....Skylark hs a modification for that now but that's the fix.

THEN plug the plane back in after saving settings and it should work.

BE CAUTIOUS with those plugs, I broke one off my OSD and had to resolder it, which was not difficult - they are fragile.

You may have to trim the heat shrink back, it is possible the soldering job on the connector is not good - you will know if the connector falls off.
    "Truly superior pilots are those who use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills"- Author unknown

KF7TRX

Navigator
    Thank you for your help.
    Yes, OSD is plugged into top part of OSD. I suppose the cables are not broken since it always detects the GPS unit during start up.
    I tried to change to easy layout just to see if this affects the meassage about weak signal but no difference.

Any other ideas?

No Artificial Sweeteners. kev.au's Avatar
    I got the same thing going on.
    Håvard Støre : Sir I humbly bow down to your balsa bashing abilities!!.
    chicken sashimi : my T-Shirts are all 100% guaranteed to get you laid.
    Roberto : you're a legend Kev.
    ssassen : I bow humbly before kev.au's greatness.
    Danub : Sir I humbly bow down to your tree bashing abilities!!.
    MonZon : Damn, Kev you are gooooood!.
    R. Montiel : For sure the limiting factor is the earth curvature

Navigator
    kev.au: I this meassage an error message or is't normal during start-up of this unit?
    Is your unit a brand new unit?

Navigator
    I found that this message is shown at start up but should be gone very soon when satellites are found. This menas no gps signal is detected.

I had same problem with my first Remzibi gps. But I got a new gps unit under warranty and since then it works fine. Very fast start up.
    I think skylark is fast also if the gps unit works properly...

Pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by kamelkungen View Post
    I found that this message is shown at start up but should be gone very soon when satellites are found. This menas no gps signal is detected.
    Can you tell us the type of your Video TX, if you are 1.2G VTX, please try change other channel?
    Skylark FPV Service Center
    http://www.skylarkfpv.com

If you are using a 1.2/1.3GHz vtx that most likely is the issue. I have found some filter better than others. For instance I ran the RMRC 300mW transmitter on my Specter and could only get the gps to work if I had a LP filter on the vtx and the gps antenna ~9inches away or more from the vtx and hit reset on the Skylark after it booted on power up after all that it took about 20 seconds to lock. I currently run the RMRC 800mW vtx with no filter and the gps antenna ~10inches away and I get GPS lock in about 6 seconds on power up. Look into a LP Filter.
    Quote Originally Posted by whakahere View Post
    I keep thinking I should give up crashing too ... I guess it is an addiction.
    Quote Originally Posted by CaliDave
    Who sliced open that tauntaun?
    Me----"This is a results may vary type of hobby, get used to it."

Video Aerial Systems Operations Manager

I suspect that if you turn off your vTx then you will get a lock. Or change channels.

http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread....-I-hate-my-GPS
    "I Like Waffles" : FPVLab on Facebook and FPVLab on Twitter

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by SENTRY View Post
    I suspect that if you turn off your vTx then you will get a lock. Or change channels.

http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread....-I-hate-my-GPS

Hello,

Thanks but I only had osd board and gps...I have already sent it back. The GPS is probably defect. I will let you know when I know.