Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: POSTING VIDEO: A Beginner's Guide to Building an FPV Quadcopter

POSTING VIDEO: A Beginner's Guide to Building an FPV Quadcopter

Fair warning – this is a very long video. I expect that only the most dedicated and hearty souls will see all of it. There is no new aerial footage, just Techinstein and me sitting in dark with a PowerPoint presentation, talking about the fundamentals of FPV multirotor operations.

We gave this talk at Norwescon 35 in Seattle last month under the title “Own a Drone: Build and Fly Your Own UAV.” It was aimed at a novice audience – people interested in getting started, but without any RC or FPV experience, so we cover the basics in depth. We also took a lot of questions from the audience. Check it out:

We owe a huge shout out to our friends at MediaFX Video Production in Beaverton, Oregon, who captured this talk and spent hours editing it down from a rambling 55-minute presentation into a much more concise 26 minute package.

Just in case you ever meet us in person, I don't want you to be disappointed – we're not nearly this articulate. The editor told us that she took out two solid minutes of “umm's” and “uhh's,” on along with all of the other detritus.

Don't worry – she left in enough “war stories” and inside jokes that you'll definitely come away from this video feeling like you've been to a con, without having to slip on a skin-tight Na'vi body suit or sweat it out inside a stormtrooper helmet all day.
    roswellflighttestcrew.com

Navigator
    Great video and explination.
    I was kind of dissapointed it ended.
    So you guys don't seem to have the legal troubles like many fpvers, any idea why?
    This video was great. I might try out a quad in the future.
    Elf.

Hi, Elf!

After sitting through a 26-minute YouTube video, saying "I was kind of disappointed when it ended" is probably the highest possible compliment that you could give us. Thank you. We're really glad that you enjoyed it. From the fact you said that you might try out a quad in the future, I take it that you're a fixed-wing guy?

As to how we avoid legal troubles, it's because we're hobbyists -- nothing more. We don't make any money doing this, it's strictly for fun. The regulations which govern model aircraft operations in the USA don't say anything about FPV one way or the other -- probably because they were written in 1981 and haven't been updated since, and back then the concept we know as "FPV" would have been completely inconceivable.

So, the law doesn't distinguish between us and the guy out flying his Decathalon around the park. The only difference comes when you start advertising commercial aerial photography... Suddenly, your toy helicopter becomes a Small Unmanned Aircraft System, and the Federal Aviation Administration gets interested in you...

Thanks for watching!

Navigator
    Yea cool.
    I am a fixed wing guy, mostly Los but since I have had my fpv system my Los models haven't been used.
    Lol. I live in Australia so I have no clues about the laws here.
    I'm not really willing to find out though cause I would be obliged to follow them.
    I know this isn't great but I keep to myself and nobody bothers me.
    Mostly just people trying to find out what I'm doing and going cool.
    Where was this talk at?
    A convention or something?
    Elf.

Sweet. Very informative without being boring, self-impressed or ego laden. Way good.

Sweet presentation! I liked the Q&As spread out throughout the video, breaks it up a bit. Sounds like you guys just recruited 20 new FPVers!

Hey, everybody!

Thanks for the enthusiastic responses... We enjoyed turning people on to the exciting world of FPV flying, but what really means the most to us is the encouragement we get from our fellow pilots. Thanks!

@Elf -- I understand that Australia has a more enlightened view of this emerging technology than my home country, so you're probably okay. However, I'd encourage you to look into it... Ignorance is bliss -- until a team from your national aviation authority shows up to ask you a couple of questions. Moving on... We gave this talk at a science fiction and fantasy convention called "Norwescon" held each year in Seattle, Washington.

@BeauGoldly -- It's easy to be humble when you see the quality of work being done by people all over the world. We think of ourselves a students first, teachers second (or maybe third, or fourth...)

@ Vitamin J -- We were, for the most part, pretty impressed with the quality of the questions we got. Afterwards, some guys came up to me who were working on a fixed-wing project, but hadn't really made contact with the larger FPV community yet -- so we were able to give them a few tips to help them on their way. It was a good crowd.

Great video!

Hey guys, enjoyed your video!

I'm just starting to do FPV with a Next Level 650 quad with CopterControl.

I'm finding it difficult to judge elevation so I added Skylark GPS with barometric sensor.

Looks like Naza has a GPS add-on coming soon for alt & Gps hold and return to home.

Just wondering if you guys still feel the basic Naza (with GPS add-on) is still the best way to go for someone starting out?

So far my only experience with AP has been with heli's and I need all the help I can get (cheat) with orientation with the quad.

Mel
    Canby Oregon

Fantastic effort guys. I have been enjoying your videos for some time now. Please keep it up!

Navigator
    Excellent presentation gentlemen! .....I look forward to your future talks
    Oh Gravity, thou art a heartless bitch!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast