Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Long distance FPV Crawler

I wonder what someone walking that path thinks when they see an RC car cruising along with a camera and funny looking antennas, with no operator to be seen :P

HeHe! That reminds me to put up this video:

ROFL! I am curious too, are those LED's just doing random things?

The leds are volt meters. The right hand one shows the voltage of my video battery. The left one alternates between vehicle control battery and Dragonlink RSSI. They only flicker in the recorded file (not in the live view I have) They aren't that easy to read in sunshine though - I just got some analogue volt meters that I will replace them with.

Analogs will look a lot cooler hehe, would be cool to have your speed too, but that is a bit tricky :P.

Navigator
    Bluestreak,
    this is the best land FPV I have yet seen, very nice work.
    Regarding range issues, this is something I have been thinking a lot about as being in the UK we have limited power allowance and high frequency only >
    What about installing antenna tracking on the vehicle and using a directional antenna on the video Tx? I would think this could drastically improve your video range.
    I also have another question, what is the cabling like between your house-based transmitter and your roof antenna that broadcasts the signal?

Hey thanks LongRat. Yeh, that's a bit of a pain - I guess you should find the highest power lowest frequency vid TX/RX you are allowed to use. Also, I think it was "Branflakes" or "Wizzard" that had success with adding an amlifier to their video RX - I got one that I haven't tried yet but that might be another way of improving the video. Definitely helps to use a directional antenna with tracking. My 12db yagi works great although I only have it fixed and pointing in the general direction I want to go (another thing to improve). I allready had CAT5E cabling running all through my house so it was easy to hook up the dragonlink module and the Video Receiver to the cabling. The cables run to a central point in my house (cupboard in the laundry) and I can patch them through to any room in the house. The dragonlink module and the video receiver are protected from the weather with Poly pipe (used for house drains).

Finally managed to put up the video of my 1.75km trip. Edited a fair bit out so that it didn't go for ages - Still ended up over 18 minutes though!

Made a pan system for my roof mounted Yagi the other day. Looking forward to testing it
    Here's a vid i put up with more details:

could quit if I wanted to volto's Avatar
    Is that the same radio you are using to drive, or a separate one? If not, why not just use a servo tester instead of a separate radio?
    Don't steal, the government hates competition.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast