FPVLAB

Thread: First recorded fpv flight

Forum Member

First recorded fpv flight

Hi everyone,

This is my first recorded fpv flight. I launched visually, but after that it was all "under the hood," including landing. The plane was definitely nose-heavy, but it was awesome. This is what I'm using:

Sky Surfer
    Futaba 9c and corona receiver
    Immersionrc 500mw 2.4 vtx
    Airwave 2.4 vrx
    Fatshark aviators
    Stock rubber ducky on both vtx and vrx.
    Keychain #16 for hd recording.

One question that I have is: where should I go from here? I' don't want to add an osd (yet), so my question is more precisely: what are good replacement for the stock antennas? 8dbi patch on the ground and vee on the plane?

Forum Member
    You know those mountains are calling your name...
    TinyOSD.
    8dbi patch, rubber ducky.

What more do you need?

PS - more power on the landings - I had a habit of donig exactly what you did and eventually the foam will give way. My EZ is not "nose heavy" as it's balanced but it sitll has a lot of weight in the nose so I have to power her in.

Add a couple of strips of duct tape also, and aa bit of power and that plane will show no signs of wear after 10-20 flights...except for where you hit trees, power lines, bollards, all the usual things

PS Congrats! I will never forget my first FPV
    Last edited by Scotttu; 7th May 2012 at 07:28 PM.
    "Truly superior pilots are those who use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills"- Author unknown

KF7TRX

Forum Member
    Thanks! Those mountains are indeed calling my name, but I want to be prepared for them.

So you are saying that landing under power will make for softer landings? I could land the naked Sky Surfer with no power and make it touch down at almost 0 speed. I guess the weight will not let me do that anymore.
    Last edited by Juan; 7th May 2012 at 07:46 PM.

Forum Member
    That's my experience on landings, but yes, you will want some duct tape to protect the foam or the pebbles will start gouging the foam.
    It will make it a bit softer. Over the course of time my canopy won't fit on my EZ so I have to stretch the nose back down (Bad launches cause that too LOL).

On the 8dbi flat - EXACTLY what IBCrazy said - if you cna see it you can reach it with an 8dbi (I'm guessing within 5km).

Awesome start you got there, WARNING- this sport is HIGHLY addictive!!
    FPV Is a drug:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4SPK...yer_detailpage
    Last edited by Scotttu; 7th May 2012 at 08:02 PM.
    "Truly superior pilots are those who use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills"- Author unknown

KF7TRX

Forum Member
    Nice! Are you happy with the keychain video recorder? What causes the waviness of the video, vibration?
    Newt
    Adelaide, South Australia

Forum Member
    Yes, I'm happy with it. What produces the waviness (technically, "rolling shutter") is the fact that it is a cmos camera, plus the vibrations. It highlights the fact something is not perfectly balanced on the plane, although it can also just indicate that the camera was only loosely attached.