Page 128 of 427 FirstFirst ... 2878118126127128129130138178228 ... LastLast
Results 1,271 to 1,280 of 4263

Thread: TBS DISCOVERY - New quadrocopter frame

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by sbmon View Post
    I had the exact same equipment ntm1200kv motors and simonk esc (also tested with dji 30 amp esc) controlled by kk2 and it drove me nutzzzz. It's the motors. The only esc that I could get to run the motors consistently smooth was a castle 25 running very old firmware. Mine did same as yours it always drops the right front arm. While the ntm motors came highly recommended I strongly believe they changed something in the winding in the last few months and they are wound too aggressive for most esc. Change the motors and enjoy the frame it's awesome.

shawn
    missed your reply, thanks for sharing this extremely useful find. I'm sure heaps of people have got the ntm1200 and are in for a big disappointment. Which motor did you end up using? After trying so many escs/motor , I only have lots of 3S 3300. Oh dear, I must say It has not been much fun lately

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by M'ck'y View Post
    missed your reply, thanks for sharing this extremely useful find. I'm sure heaps of people have got the ntm1200 and are in for a big disappointment. Which motor did you end up using? After trying so many escs/motor , I only have lots of 3S 3300. Oh dear, I must say It has not been much fun lately
    Do you have any esc that's not flashed? If you have only one do some bench testing.
    I konw Juz is using NTM1200 with Turnigy Plush 30A.

Quote Originally Posted by M'ck'y View Post
    Just a quick update, I measured temperatures of all escs and motor , turns out the rear left was 10 deg more than all the rest. I replace that rear left esc, and tried again and temperatures were equal at about 30 degs all round motor and esc. I also updated the kk2 with the latest firmware released today. If I fly smooth, there are no motor cut (although I probably did not fly it long enough) but if I keep punching the throttle, there would be some sort of beep/cogging/ out of sync and it could be any random motor, sometimes even 2 motors would stop at once, and down goes the disco. My guess is that the escs cannot keep up with the board. I am tempted to try some flashed 30a next. I hope this will solve the issue.
    I was having the same problem with my KK2, NTM 750kv and flashed F-20A esc. When tuned aggressively and flown aggressively the motor will lose timing and stall. The NTM's just don't play nice with the firmware on the F-20a, F-30a, etc hobbyking flashed esc. You're options are to get the pre-flashed esc from rctimer $15 each for 20a, or replace the motors.

Edit: Of course, if you know how to flash, just get the rctimer esc and do it yourself. Or use some plush... but I personally have a REALLY hard time going back to flying another quad of mine that doesn't have flashed esc.
    Last edited by Flying Monkey; 9th August 2012 at 11:09 AM.
    "You can't take the sky from me"

Navigator
    I have used a couple differentt motors on this frame. Currently I am running exceed Rc motors 2215 1300kv from hobbypartz. com. They work good on 3s with 8" props they run ambient temps even when pushed but they do suck mah faster than I would like. I have some 2210 1200kv ones on the way to try out a light setup. The DJI motors also actually work excellent imo on this frame. Downside is DJI motors need 10" prop on 3s. I really like the feel of the smaller 8" props and have lotsa 3s cells so I need high kv motors. I may go 4s at some point but I have 3s 450 heli packs on hand. Funny your motors behave same as mine exactly. I was going crazy diagnosing the problem, fortunately I had alot of stuff on hand to help trouble shoot but it was still major pita.
    Take care
    shawn

Hey everyone!

I just want to give a BIG HEADS UP!!!! for those who are just starting out with the TBS DIscovery quad....
    If you want to use the "JUZ" setup (NTM1200, 30Amp ESC, and 8 inch prop's)

DO NOT, AND I MEAN DO NOT USE THEM IN COMBINATION WITH SIMONK FLASHED ESC's!!!!!!!!
    (this does not count for the Wii-esc firmware, people are having succes with this fw)

The NTM motor's have a dead spot somewear near the 60% to 75% Throttle range!!!!!
    It has something to do with the SimonK code, ESC Timing and motor's not willing to work well together....
    If you want to go with the NTM'S use regulair 30Amp Plush ESC's!!! this setup on 4s will make you a very happy FPV'er!!!

I say again DO NOT USE THE NTM 1200kv's WITH SIMONK FLASHED ESC'S!!!!

For those who really want to use SimonK flashed ESC's, get the RCTIMER 2830-14 750kv's
    (http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?gOo...3&productname=)

These motor's combined with SimonK flashed HK F-30A or RCTIMER SimonK 30amp ESC
    (http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?gOo...9&productname=)

With 10 x 3.8(low altitude flying) or 10 x 4.7(high altitude flying) on a 4s are more or less one of the best setups for this frame at the moment.

For more info on the subject go here:
    http://forums.openpilot.org/topic/10...eta-build-log/
    http://forums.openpilot.org/topic/11...sc/#entry94851
    http://forums.openpilot.org/topic/11...-escs-flashed/

And for those who might want to know a bit more about "Rapidesc" (Simonk or Wii-esc firmware)
    http://wiki.openpilot.org/display/Doc/RapidESCs

Regards

Ps: these findings are based on persenal testing and the testing from other TBS Discovery beta testers (Enthlapy)
    Last edited by Traveller; 9th August 2012 at 06:05 PM.
    "For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return." - Leonardo da vinci

How many engineers does it take to change a light bulb?
    3. One to hold the light bulb and two to turn the ladder.

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by Traveller View Post
    setup on 4s will make you a very happy FPV'er!!!

I say again DO NOT USE THE NTM 1200kv's WITH SIMONK FLASHED ESC'S!!!!
    Traveller,
    Excellent info, I knew I wasn't the only one. You mentioned 4s on a 1200kv motor. The only way I see that working is with 5-6" prop. These higher kv motors (>1100kv) tend to use 3s setups with 8-9" props depending on performance requirements.

Mechan,
    EXCELLENT video thanks for sharing!
    shawn
    Last edited by sbmon; 9th August 2012 at 02:50 PM.

Navigator
    Traveller-
    what about the use of the NTM 750kv motors with SimonK 30A ESCs on 4S?
    i know there's an issue with the 1200kv motors paired up with SimonK ESCs on 3S...

any insight on that?
    Brian

I'm sorry i can't say anthing about the NTM 750kv's because i haven't tested them myself and to be honest i haven't heard/read anything about then not working well togerther yet.
    But becarfull when testing.
    "For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return." - Leonardo da vinci

Quote Originally Posted by Traveller View Post
    I'm sorry i can't say anthing about the NTM 750kv's because i haven't tested them myself and to be honest i haven't heard/read anything about then not working well togerther yet.
    But becarfull when testing.
    Really?? Read post #1289 one page back...
    "You can't take the sky from me"