VideoAerialSystems

Thread: 2.4 Pepperbox Is Amazing!

2.4 Pepperbox Is Amazing!

I've been flying Alex's antenna's since starting in FPV 7 years ago. Flying 433mhz control, 2.4 has always suited my needs. I've owned just about every antenna I.B. has made during that time but the 2.4 pepperbox is a phenomenal antenna. I flew 14 miles out with my Skywalker and was getting RTHs (too low to the ground) but my video was rock solid the entire flight. My "antenna tracker" was a flying bud turning the pepperbox as needed while I flew. This was easy because the video would turn dark on the opposite side you needed to turn towards and then returned to perfection! In other words if I was getting a little dark video on the left I let my human tracker know and he'd turn to the right slightly and the video cleared right up. I was also using the Moxon on my EZUHF. I haven't found many discussions on this antenna but I get better results with the Moxon than I do with me Diamond SRH771. Not saying the Diamond is a bad antenna, just saying my results were better on this day with the Moxon.

Oh, and I was using a 1w VTX and a Mad Mushroom. Forgot to add that.
    Last edited by pat_masac; 29th January 2019 at 02:38 AM.

Engineer for Jesus Christ IBCrazy's Avatar
    Thanks for the review! The pepperbox is an awesome antenna, but sometimes you can out-fly your control at low altitude. To combat that issue, I designed the VAS Diamond antenna. If you tend to fly low you might consider trying it on your control. There is a video out there to use it to create a 2-element yagi (which is effectively better than the Moxon) by simply adding a wire to the back of it which increases the range 75% or so.

-Alex
    If it is broken, fix it. if it isn't broken, I'll soon fix that.

videoaerialsystems.com - Performance video piloting

Quote Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
    Thanks for the review! The pepperbox is an awesome antenna, but sometimes you can out-fly your control at low altitude. To combat that issue, I designed the VAS Diamond antenna. If you tend to fly low you might consider trying it on your control. There is a video out there to use it to create a 2-element yagi (which is effectively better than the Moxon) by simply adding a wire to the back of it which increases the range 75% or so.

-Alex
    Alex,

Thanks for the reply and the great products! I am a bit of an "antenna junky" so I'll definitely try out the VAS Diamond and the mod. Currently finishing up the carbon fiber tail Skywalker from RMRC with the Vector and EZUHF. I have settled on my tried and trusted skew planer and mad mushroom in 2.4. Never lost a plane.