Thread: Cheap Beginner Drone

Navigator

Cheap Beginner Drone

I'm looking into getting myself a drone, but since I have never owned one before, I don't know what are decent specs for one. My budget is around $200 max. Any suggestions? A rotateable camera would be nice but is not necessary.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Small brushed motor quads is where I would start. Good for flying around the house and learning the ropes. Even if you are a pro at FPV I think you can still have a total blast with a tiny quad. They kinda suck outdoors unless it's perfectly still air outside. You can buy a quad + radio like the E011 for about $15 or the more popular Inductrix + radio for about $150.
    here's a video of me flying my E011

A larger brushless motor quad like the Tinyhawk would be a solid way to go because it works both indoors and outdoors. It's heavier so more likelihood to break something (probably not the quad itself) if you fly indoors. You would be paying about $100 for the quad and about $100 for a radio like the Taranis x-lite. It would be kinda slow, so not great for a huge wide open park, but fun in a tighter, close range environment like a back yard.

Race quads are pretty cool. They take a lickin and keep on ticking. Totally worthless indoors but they clear some ground fast for a more wide open football field sized environments and don't get banged around by the wind as much as little Tinyhawk sized quads. You would get started for about $200 for something like the Vortex 180 and about $100 for a radio like the Taranis x-lite

400 sized quads have fallen out of popularity but are a fantastic little quads that can do both range and endurance. You can go explore with them in about a 2 to 3 mile radius and they fly fast like 250 sized racers. A 15 minute flight isn't unheard of in these guys but they crash hard and require you to swap arms, props, sometimes even motors escs about every crash. Maybe not for a beginner. Expect to blow $500 or so for a proper 400 quad like the TBS Discovery or the QAV400 and another $100 for something like the x-lite radio.

AP drone would be a pretty solid way to get started. They fly a little different in that it's more about you kinda directing them where they will go rather than actively piloting through gaps in trees and stuff, so less adrenaline roller-coaster ride and more the quad taking you on a relaxing flight. They have the tilt camera you are talking about and record a super smooth image of your flight compared to a 400 quad. They don't burn through energy super hard like the 400s do either so you can expect more like 25 minute flights than 10 to 15. You can get started with something like the Mavic for around $800 to $1200.

Navigator
    Thank you will look into you suggestions! :-)

Navigator

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by simonvdm132 View Post
    I'm looking into getting myself a drone, but since I have never owned one before, I don't know what are decent specs for one. My budget is around $200 max. Any suggestions? A rotateable camera would be nice but is not necessary.

I think FatShark 101 bundle is a very nice choice for you and it contains the necessary equipment for a new beginner
    https://www.antigravitysports.com/st...duct&id_lang=1