FPVLAB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aiming for long range FPV wing: Drak or Caipirinha2 ?

Aiming for long range FPV wing: Drak or Caipirinha2 ?

Well, it's all in the thread title really...

I have experience with FPV mini quads but none with wings.
    Based on a comment i read in another thread i think/understand that Drak and Caipirinha 2 are both aiming at long range stable effciency, right?
    (While Mini Drak would more be of all-round multi-use wing.)

I realise there are probably other wings out there which are more suitable for a wing-noob like me, but still,
    if you'd have to recommend me one between the (big) Drak and the Caipirinha 2, which one would you recommend and why?

The thrill for me is to record nice stable GoPro video, so stability is definitely an important element, but i'm sure there must be lots of other parameters which i'm not aware of.

All input will be much appreciated! Thank you.

Co-Pilot
    The Drak is a much better video platform than the Caip 2. It is also way more stable and a better long range aircraft than the Caip 2. However, you will be paying quite a bit more for it. As a self declared noob, I would recommend you start with something that’s less of an investment. Both the Drak and Caip 2 are relatively difficult to build and to launch and fly. Personally, I’d go for something cheap like a mini talon to learn on before jumping on a Drak.

Quote Originally Posted by Hmerly View Post
    The Drak is a much better video platform than the Caip 2. It is also way more stable and a better long range aircraft than the Caip 2. However, you will be paying quite a bit more for it. As a self declared noob, I would recommend you start with something thatís less of an investment. Both the Drak and Caip 2 are relatively difficult to build and to launch and fly. Personally, Iíd go for something cheap like a mini talon to learn on before jumping on a Drak.
    That's a clear answer with a clear winner for what I ultimately aim to do. Thanks Hmerly!
    I guess I should indeed start with something smaller and cheaper and save me some headaches...

Before I turn my attention back to those cheaper models, an extra question I had:

I've now also discovered the Recon and some amazingly smooth hd flight footage on YT.... Haven't been able to find any info though on the differences in terms of flight characteristics between the Drak and the Recon. Both are aimed at long range, stability, smooth GoPro footage, etc... but while they seem very similar in many aspects I don't understand where the massive price difference is coming from. Is it materials used and durability maybe?

The Recon is the newer model also, so I assumed it'd be "better", but maybe that's not the case...
    I've also read that the Drak is for flights between 50 and 90 mph while the Recon, so they claim, covers an envelope of 40 to 100 mph which would make me think it's a little more multipurpose? Correct?

Bottom line: Why would people choose the Drak over the newer and cheaper Recon? *

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Co-Pilot
    They’re designed by the same guy. The recon is hot wire cut out of epp foam. The Drak is a molded product. The foam is a different type of epp that’s really strong and durable. Both are nice but the Drak is another step up. I’d still go with something cheaper before plunging in though. The recon is actually not a bad choice

Navigator
    I've had great results with my Crash Test Hobby Gladiator XL. It's a 60" wing that costs about $100 US. Very stable due to the deep chord and wingspan and easy to launch, with very gentle and predictable stall behavior. It's also super tough EPP foam. When laminated and shock-corded according the instructions it's incredibly durable. You'll have to do more of the configuration work yourself than with a mostly pre-built machine like the Caipi, but the results can be worth it. I've had mine for several years now.

Navigator
    You may also want to consider the Reptile S800 Sky Shadow as your first wing.

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by RENOV8R View Post
    You may also want to consider the Reptile S800 Sky Shadow as your first wing.
    I have an S800 as well, and it's indeed a good starter/portable wing. However it's not good at all as a stable camera platform.

Wings in general aren't stable camera platforms. They look really cool (Drak especially) but derpy-looking platforms with actual fuselages and tail feathers like the Talon/Skyhunter/MTD fly smoother.

Recon is more like the old Zephyr, a solid flying wing but better bang-for-the-buck options like the Fx-61 and the Z-84 came along and kinda killed the Zephyr.

Mini-Talon (also decently long-range) would be a good way to get your feet wet before moving into the way cooler looking Drak.

edit: maybe you could get the Drak wannabe, the ZOHD Dart XL for a less wallet-intensive option.
    Last edited by parajared; 17th January 2019 at 12:15 PM.

Skyhunter or Volantex 2.4

Consider Bungee Launch when starting with a Wing as a Noob. This makes the launch safe and much easier, because the plane leaves the stabilizing bungee cord with enought speed to not stall.
    I had a hard time with the 1st launches of my Caipi, the Bungee Launch never failed. Once the iNav Autolaunch worked well and reliable, hand launch was also easy. But 1st launch by hand is hard, not matter if it's a Drak or a Caipi.
    My Caipi reaches less than 80mAh/KM ( 130mAh / Mile ), with the recommended 5200mAh Lipo it well reach 40 miles round trip. Not sure if a Drak is that efficient.
    ---> Let's make the Lab great again! <---

Caipi 2 / Strix Goblin / RVJet / Mini Race Wing / Mini Talon
    Copters from Whoop to XClass

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast