FPVLAB

Thread: Need Advice On A New Setup

Need Advice On A New Setup

Greetings and happy holidays to all!

A little background....

I started flying FPV in 2012 with a Skywalker and the old Corona 72mhz receivers after being a regular RC pilot since 1989. I soon upgraded to the EZUHF 8 channel diversity, the RMRC Himax power package, a Castle Edge 50 and the old Feiyu Tech FY-31AP/Hornet OSD. My SW had a 2.4 vtx and a RMRC saw filter receiver. My cone mount was home brewed and kept my flight camera and GoPro stationary. My EZUHF had two monopoles coming out of the fuse in a "V" shape and I have a ton of antenna options for video (IB Crazy's excellent stuff). So, I had a blast with my old SW! I run three cells (usually 2 5000maH in parallel). I got very comfortable with the plane and the features of the old FY-31AP worked perfectly! I only got out of range once at about 7 miles and the RTH worked perfectly! Well, as they say, all planes have and expiration date and this was true of my SW. I had a battery failure after MANY successful flights and hung it 60 feet up in a tree. The only way to get it down was by shooting the wings off with a shotgun. I was willing to sacrifice my plane to get my precious electronics back and would rather eat the 100 bucks for the plane than all the money I had invested in the internals.

So, the winds of change blew in and I parked all my equipment for a few years. Recently I decided to start this wonderful hobby again (I had a Skywalker kit that I bought right after the crash in storage) and rebuilt my kit, installed all my old equipment and set out to fly! Well, the old FY-31AP went nuts on auto balance mode and I hung her in a tree again!! Not to be beaten I lost the new SW getting it down again but saved my gear. So, I went to RMRC and bought a new SW and a Vector Flight controller/OSD (I've always dreamed of owning a Vector!) and a new Runcam camera, some more vtx antennas, etc. Here's where I need help from you guys:

I may be wrong but I despise this new carbon boomed SW 1720! It is full of plastic parts, no access door and I can't find a build at all. I sent an email to RMRC to see if I could exchange the plane for something different. I don't expect to hear back from them until after the Xmas holidays but I was honest and told them I have no idea where all these wooden/plastic pieces go and really just get a bad feeling about this bird. I have opened a few of the bags but not the hardware so it is a crap shoot if they'll let me return it but I have spent thousands with them over the years so maybe they'll let me. My two favorite vendors are RMRC and Getfpv. Both of these outfits are bang up companies in my opinion (Getfpv's Lumenier mini DVR is awesome! I used to record my downlink on an old Mini DV. Highly recommended). So, what I am asking you all is what plane would be better? I've got my eye on the Skyhunter or the My Fly Dream (twin or single) after watching some flights of these planes. Plus, there are a ton of builds online.

Any suggestions on either plane or perhaps one I haven't mentioned? Any comments on this new SW I have with the carbon boom? Is it junk (the SW)? Am I completely wrong?

Another question while I am here: I am considering new antennas for my EZUHF rtx. Should I be running a dipole instead of the two monopoles? I have a diamond SRH771 on my tx and also have a moxon from IB Crazy. My FPV flying style is tame. I enjoy lazy long range flights and altitude flights but LOVE flight controllers that work well with RTH, auto balance, etc. 6 years ago my SW with the old FY-31AP worked flawlessly but I really wanted the Vector after seeing it in action. What about a monopole dipole combination on my diversity rx?

I fly 3S batteries just out of habit and have a ton of money invested in them so I'd like to stick with that. My old SW could carry a brick around so I'm comfortable with 3s. I usually ran two 5000s (as I said) and a 1400 for my vtx.

Sorry for so many questions but I am feeling like I am new to the hobby again and feeling overwhelmed! My bank account won't handle another crash! I don't blame Feiyu Tech, that 31AP was pretty old and it never let me down until I let it set up a few years. Ready to get in the air with my Vector. Need a plane!! Thanks!

I had a Skyhunter with the ezuhf setup and Eagletree Vector. One thing I am sure of is that you need a dipole on your receiver and I would recommend the dragon link dipole or the one from Alex. It was a great setup and was capable of flying a long way and should suit your style. I don't know anything about Skywalkers so I can't help you there.

Quote Originally Posted by Kreskin View Post
    I had a Skyhunter with the ezuhf setup and Eagletree Vector. One thing I am sure of is that you need a dipole on your receiver and I would recommend the dragon link dipole or the one from Alex. It was a great setup and was capable of flying a long way and should suit your style. I don't know anything about Skywalkers so I can't help you there.
    Kreskin,

Thanks for your reply. The more I look at this kit the more I am thinking about keeping it. But, concerning dipoles. On the EZUHF can I mount my airplane rx on the boom, run a short sma extension to the tail and put the dipole through the horizontal stab? I guess I'd just leave the Sanders monopole on the other side of the diversity receiver. I was leaning towards the configuration because I don't want to run any longer sma extension than necessary and want to have an easy wing removal (not having to connect/disconnect the sma extension each time I remove the wing). Also, with the dipole in the tail it would take less of a beating each landing.

Quote Originally Posted by pat_masac View Post
    Kreskin,

Thanks for your reply. The more I look at this kit the more I am thinking about keeping it. But, concerning dipoles. On the EZUHF can I mount my airplane rx on the boom, run a short sma extension to the tail and put the dipole through the horizontal stab? I guess I'd just leave the Sanders monopole on the other side of the diversity receiver. I was leaning towards the configuration because I don't want to run any longer sma extension than necessary and want to have an easy wing removal (not having to connect/disconnect the sma extension each time I remove the wing). Also, with the dipole in the tail it would take less of a beating each landing.
    That sounds good. I would look at pictures of different dipole antenna setups on similar planes and you may get some new ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by Kreskin View Post
    That sounds good. I would look at pictures of different dipole antenna setups on similar planes and you may get some new ideas.
    Kreskin,

Thanks again. I only bought one dipole. Do you think it would be okay to leave the monopole one the other antenna connection on the EZUHF receiver? I'm assuming this wouldn't matter as the diversity will automatically use the antenna with the best reception. In this case, the dipole.

Quote Originally Posted by pat_masac View Post
    Kreskin,

Thanks again. I only bought one dipole. Do you think it would be okay to leave the monopole one the other antenna connection on the EZUHF receiver? I'm assuming this wouldn't matter as the diversity will automatically use the antenna with the best reception. In this case, the dipole.
    I think I have heard of people leaving them empty so it should be fine.

I own a room full of planes but my top three are the Opterra, RMRC Recruit, and a Penguin. My goto plane is always the Penguin. DragonLink control with dipole antenna, 1.3 video with ET OSD. 3S batteries and head tracking cam. This plane is 3+years old and rock solid, reliable, low drama. Price point is good to for the quality, plenty of info and parts and pieces too.