FPVLAB

Thread: 433 Antenna suggestion for 250 quad?

Navigator

433 Antenna suggestion for 250 quad?

Hello,

Basically all of my rc models are with ezUHF now. It's just more comfortable to use one system for everything, and 433 in general give me extra confidence with link quality etc.
    Not long ago I've built my 1st 250 quad- a lot of fun. But 433 antennas are huge. And even though I've managed to fit a default ezUHF monopole on board - its indeed too long for 250 quad and I'm also tired of fixing it multiple times per week - newbie pilot - a lot of crashes.

So, I substitute a default solid wire with stranded wire and bend it a little bit so the prominent piece is a little bit shorter (see pic). But RSSI dropped dramatically. Folks in a local group are telling me that you can not bend antenna like that. Guess they are right.

I don't want to buy those new 900Mhz TBS of FrSky systems just for one model - let's leave it for a last resort.
    So, could you guys suggest me some antenna/antenna placement or w/e with this setup?

NB. sorry for pics quality - after the last update my phone is getting trouble focusing close up

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	180.5 KB 
ID:	78842   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	98.5 KB 
ID:	78843  

Co-Pilot
    The only effective way to reduce the length of the antenna is to use a "loaded" system. This has a coil in the active element to effectively make it look "longer" than its actual physical length.

Unfortunately, as is so often the case, there is a price to pay for using a loaded antenna and that is a loss of effective range.

If you watch my video on RCModelReviews about path loss you'll see that longer antennas is one of the reasons that lower-frequency RC systems get their longer range:

Navigator