FPVLAB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ESC issue?

Navigator

ESC issue?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AGY...ature=youtu.be

Not sure how to test them... any help would be appreciated.

Did you record the fpv feed with some voltage information of the osd?

A quadcopter falling out of the sky can have many differnt reasons. The classic reasons are receiver failsafe, motors out of sync (not such a big problem any more), power loss (including brownouts) and maybe also heavy oscillations from propwash (with the powerfull motors and modern FC firmware this is usually no big deal any more).
    Since the esc is rebooting in the air I'd say that a brownout seems like a possible explaination.
    The quad is doing a fast roll it seems like the left side was still generating lift and the problem was on the right side.

A brownout can have many different sources. Did you check if it's possible that two components create a short circuit... maybe because of a loose cable or a bad solder joint. The carbon of the frame is also conductive so this can also be a part of the short circuit.

I'm not sure how your motors sound but even before the crash I'd say there is a bit of a whining noise in the video. Do you have any older recordings to compare the sound?
    How many flights did you have on this quad before the problem occured?

Navigator
    Thank you fort the quick reply Schugabe!
    I am suspecting a brownout as well. The quad has at least 150 flights on it and about 70 or so since I changed the PDB. I have since changed out the ESC's with Kiss 32A today to see if the same problem occurred. An I think it almost did. The quad didn't come down but made a quick.although extremely brief, flip to the left. However it recovered and I was able to continue flying. Either way I am going to disassemble and check/redo my solder joints. Good point on the frame being conductive as well!! Time for some good old fashioned maintenance.. it's about due anyway. Thanks again!

So the quad did a flip in the same direction as it did in the video you posted here? Maybe a motor on the left side is the problem
    Let me know if you find anything during the maintenance.

Navigator
    Hi schugabe, yes correct. Will do... just need some spare time to get it done

Navigator
    Hi schugabe,

I think I found the issue for the brown out. See the picture attached. My TBS Unify Pro was taped to the underside of the top plate on my Reverb. I used the double sided tape they provided but one corner of the unit was touching the frame. I plugged it in just before I tore it down and got a puff off smoke. This pic is after I replaced the tape with some thicker adhesive but you can see the scorch mark on the corner where it was making contact with the frame. In any case I tore it down and redid all my solder point, upgraded my PDB tot he Wolf and going to test it out this weekend. Wish me luck and thanks for all of you input!!! Love these forums for that!!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	singed.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	146.9 KB 
ID:	78763

Yeah that could be the reason and does not look too good. Did you find the spot where the vtx made contact to another component? Is this vtx still working?
    Hopefully everything is working now!
    btw: I think we have the same motors

Navigator
    Hey there. Yes it was actually touching the carbon frame. the double sided tape they provide with the vtx is razor thin. the corner of the vtx is what made contact with the frame. VTX still works fine. Tested it yesterday and all is good!! The motors I am using are Brother Hobby 2306-2450. I really like them and have another set on one of my Stingy frames.

But there must be another component touching the frame without a direct connection the would not be any current flowing. One contact point is not enough.

I also have the same motors on my rooster frame and also like them :-D

Navigator
    I didn't find the second component bu suspect it may have been one of my esc's. I tore the entire thing down and remounted everything with new double sided tape (thicker). So far so good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast