Thread: Troubleshooting FatShark HDO and Macbook HDMI connection

Navigator

Troubleshooting FatShark HDO and Macbook HDMI connection

I just bought a pair of FatShark HDO goggles and am trying to get set up on Liftoff / FreeRider simulator. I have tried both a Macbook Pro (early 2015) running High Sierra and a Macbook Pro (2018) also on High Sierra with no luck. I'm using a new HDIM to HDMI mini cable I just got from Amazon. I've watched a few Youtube videos that show connecting to PCs so I got a few tips like:
    1. Plug in the HDMI cable into the laptop and then the goggles
    2. Power up the Goggles after #1
    3. Make sure the Rx switch is set to zero
    4. Set input to "HDMI - 2D"
    5. Fiddle with video display connection

I'm pretty sure they do work with a Mac as I've seen demos on Youtube, but never a how-to.

Where can I find FAQs or troubleshooting help for this?

THx!

Navigator

I experience the same issue with FatShark HDO

Quote Originally Posted by wittyid View Post
    I just bought a pair of FatShark HDO goggles and am trying to get set up on Liftoff / FreeRider simulator. I have tried both a Macbook Pro (early 2015) running High Sierra and a Macbook Pro (2018) also on High Sierra with no luck. I'm using a new HDIM to HDMI mini cable I just got from Amazon. I've watched a few Youtube videos that show connecting to PCs so I got a few tips like:
    1. Plug in the HDMI cable into the laptop and then the goggles
    2. Power up the Goggles after #1
    3. Make sure the Rx switch is set to zero
    4. Set input to "HDMI - 2D"
    5. Fiddle with video display connection

I'm pretty sure they do work with a Mac as I've seen demos on Youtube, but never a how-to.

Where can I find FAQs or troubleshooting help for this?

THx!
    Hi, I have just sent a support request. Here is what I have found up to now:

I use FatsharkHDO for about a month or two. No problem in analog mode, but HDMI I have managed to connect only in the latest linux/ubuntu on the Lenovo ThinkPad. I constantly fail to connect them to any Apple MacBook. I have tried old one MacBook Pro 15" and the new MacBook Pro 15" with touch bar.

Behavior on an older macbook pro - googles are detected in the System/Preferences/Display, you can setup resolution/VGA mode for the new display as expected, but I never got a signal in googles. (I have followed multiple older tutorials for other devices, proper setup, switched off receiver module, an external screen with correct resolution or main screen on Scaled/LagreText. I have even tried all possible resolutions available in EasyRes pannel).

Behavior on a new macbook with touch bar - (with original apple usb-c to hdmi conversion), tl;dr - googles are not detected. Actually when I plug the goggles, power up them then OSX actually detect something and a few seconds System/Preferences/Display pop-up some new window with settings for the external display. However, this disappears immediately and later there is no 2nd display in the preferences. (again I have tried to connect googles with the main display set to lower resolution as (scaled/large text which equals to 640p; and other lower resolutions with EasyRes app).

One thing that may matter, builtin 15" display does not offer a 1080p output for HD signal at any option.

From the details and experience on Lenovo ThinkPad/Linux I remember googles were working only on some exact resolutions (set manually at hdmi output) and goggles actually failed, over HDMI, to negotiate the expected resolution they would work with.

I am 100% sure the issue is not related to HDMI cables/converters as simply they work with Linux OS if correctly set.

If I am aware FathShark has some firmware upgrade related to some pixel issue. However, on FatShark web there do not support page with download and instructions or any mention.