Thread: Camera Noise

Navigator

Camera Noise

I just got my first camera and monitor. I got a Spektrum 25mw micro camera and the Spektrum 4.3"monitor. I have them working but I'm getting a loud buzzing noise from the camera, not a static noise more like a motor running, very consistent. I've tried different channels and it's on all of them. If I shut the camera off it goes away. Some have told me to just turn the volume down but that doesn't seem right to me.

Any thoughts as to what it is or more important how to make it go away.

Thanks
    John

Navigator
    Well, you can add an LC filter and a toroid ring (needs about 7 wraps to be effective) to the power supply for the camera/VTx setup, then turn the volume down. Or . . . just turn the volume down? Sounds like the VTx is transmitting an audio channel, but the camera doesn't have a mic to fill the audio with sound. So, it's wide open & empty and filling with random shiz.

Navigator
    Good point about the camera having a mike, you're probably right, I'll have to check that, I just assumed they came with one, makes sense. No need to have any volume if there's no mike.

Thanks

Navigator
    The filter & ring are good for future builds for the power to the video transmitter, particularly on longer wire runs in big planes. The toroid I linked is likely a bit large, but was one I found quick. I use a 12" servo lead and a roughly .75" toroid and wrap it through as many times as I can. You can use a smaller one if you take the servo plug off first, but still need one large enough to get several wraps around.

Navigator
    Great info. I'll be using the camera on a radio controlled sailboat. I use a drum winch to pull the sails in and out. I don't seem to be getting any interference in the video when I run the winch but right now I just have the cables laying on the deck. It might be different once I run the cables run under the deck. I'll use the ring just to avoid problems later.

Thanks for the advice, always get the right stuff on forums