FPVLAB

Thread: Greetings from Snowalker

Forum Member
    I currently live in Western Massachusetts

Greetings from Snowalker

Hi Folks,

Just getting into FPV on fixed wing and realizing how steep this climb is. I have immersed myself into the videos available (many of which come from members of this site) and feel like I am making progress. I have two projects ongoing. The larger long term is an Opterra 900mgz fc & 5.8ghz fpv that I work on as I am able both time wise and knowledge wise. The other is my starter plane, an FTC Hunter, that I will be using to improve my flying skills. The Hunter is way more forgiving (and way less expensive!) in a crash.

I have run into a problem that I cannot find a resolution for and was hoping that I could find one here. I have set up the Hunter with a frsky xsr 2.4ghz receiver. My transmitter is a taranis x9d. I have updated the firmware on the taranis successfully including syncing the SD card and created a model using the flying wing default attributes. All done in a straight forward manner with little confusion.

The Hunter has a built in FC that I have not touched nor do I think I need to but that remains to be seen.
    I can bind to the receiver successfully using...
    • Mode: D16
    • Channel Range: Ch1 - 16

I have plugged the receiver into the provided 3-pin servo plug with gound, v5 & sbus. When binding is completed the receiver shows green but the behavior of all controls is erratic and incorrect. For example channel 1 is throttle but the motor spins up using left aileron and down elevator. The servos also buzz and move erratically on their own.

multi-meter shows 5.5 volts on hot pin and 1700mw on sbus. I considered that my frequency was getting stepped on so I shut down my entire phone and internet systems in the house but that made no difference.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Forum Member
    Welcome to the Lab ! Not sure if you have fixed the issue but perhaps a ground loop is the cause? Too many power \ grounds can cause all sorts of crazy stuff .
    [I]"Your never too old to learn something stupid ![/I]"

KC1ELK

Forum Member
    So I hooked up another receiver (9m) and all the erratic behavior went away but now nothing appears to work even tho the receiver shows green. This Hunter may be short lived.

Forum Member
    Any clue as to the type of FC it has ?
    [I]"Your never too old to learn something stupid ![/I]"

KC1ELK

Forum Member

And stupid is as stupid does.

Quote Originally Posted by NHRIDER View Post
    Any clue as to the type of FC it has ?
    And I'm well into stupid territory. The FC is a FTC proprietary board with buttons to reverse programmed settings for throttle and flaps. I did get a response from FTC but only with the standard "have you followed the directions" line. Of course there were no directions shipped with the product but hey... that's just a minor detail.

At this point I have things working according to my controls but the FC now thinks that if the plane is stalling then it elevators up! Then when the inevitable dive occurs its all elevators down! Yup, this puppy is very confused.

Forum Member
    Fixed wing noob? I love fixed wing noobs, come on down to my dirty hole and ask yer dumb questions..
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/4802...?ref=bookmarks
    Flight Club - "In thrust we trust"